Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

5 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Try as I might, I just can't get over how backwards a monarchy is, they do nothing of purpose and cost a fortune, we should send them back to Germany. 

They don't really cost much in comparison to the money they generate through tourism. What do you suggest a TV show to decide who wins, oh cheggers tried that.

Just now, GarethM said:

They don't really cost much in comparison to the money they generate through tourism. What do you suggest a TV show to decide who wins, oh cheggers tried that.

That's an often used but rarely verified statistic. The French make loads of tourist money from their palaces despite having no royals  - 7 million visitors a year at 12 euro a ticket soon adds up. Keep the palaces for something, like tourism for example and get rid of the scroungers who live in them. 

• Like 2

Just now, GarethM said:

Why do you hate them so much ?.

I'm afraid I've got to side with David Starkey, almost all french ideas are awful.

I didn't say I hated them, I just think that they're utterly pointless and completely out of touch with reality, much like many of their fans. Why do you like them so much?

Well I'm pro monarchy from a family history of service by past generations and to a degree respect the position, not necessarily the persons.

They perform a function of state around which the whole British society is loosely based, a function very few other countries have, but it's what's enabled our little island to live peacefully.

The Americans salute the flag, we looked upto ours and our royal family.

For sure, the Royale Family are a pointless anachronism these days, but they're largely  harmless at least. (With one or two exceptions obviously). They have very little power or influence now. I'm tempted to stick my neck out and say that in the case of King Charlie the influence that he does have is mainly benign in fact.

Those with the real power, the current political elite and associated vested interests, are far more damaging. Seemingly intent on running the country into the ground for their own gain.

• Like 1