Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

I guess she can't afford to lose her job.

They seem to be damned whatever they do.

I feel confident she could have moved them at 10am today without risking her job. Could have parked a fire appliance and crew outside each block until to day, etc.

It's all posturing and genuflection.

I think it's natural in a way, that youth has little interest in the past...your life's ahead of you, thoughts are of possible futures, potentials. There's just so MUCH history, and most of its the history of boring old farts ripping each other off in one way or another. I was interested in ancient history as a kid, the Vikings and mongols and so on. As I get older I find myself identifying more and more with the characters of recent history, and find more interest in the details of what whent down and how and why. Listening to a thing in the van a few weeks back about a strategic breakdown of the D-day beach assault, I quite unexpectedly found myself moved to tears. Partly gratitude for the American men, younger than me, with everything to live for, who sacrificed their lives for a moral principle, and partly rage, at the currant generation, now the same age.

Just heard that mass evacuations were taking place in London due to unsafe buildings.

Nearly proactive. I hope these buildings are demolished ASAP, any and all other structures that are not to code brought to code or demolished as well. No point debating the obvious unless your a total moron. Sadly lots of them seemly run the UK local and national governments.

easy-lift guy

Just heard that mass evacuations were taking place in London due to unsafe buildings.

Nearly proactive. I hope these buildings are demolished ASAP, any and all other structures that are not to code brought to code or demolished as well. No point debating the obvious unless your a total moron. Sadly lots of them seemly run the UK local and national governments.

easy-lift guy

Theres no need for demolition, its "facelift" work thats led to the danger. The cladding needs replacing with the correct product/system.

Sprinklers may need retrofitting, but these have been offered to tenants before, but they have been rejected by some. They don't want the disruption there fitting would require, plus they fear the damage they could do when somebody burns the toast or lights a fag. I guess the recent tragedy will have made most more favourable to there fitting.

Edited by skyhuck

Theres no need for demolition, its "facelift" work thats led to the danger. The cladding needs replacing with the correct product/system.

Sprinklers may need retrofitting, but these have been offered to tenants before, but they have been rejected by some. They don't want the disruption there fitting would require, plus they fear the damage they could do when somebody burns the toast or lights a fag. I guess the recent tragedy will have made most more favourable to there fitting.

I know nothing about sprinklers, but if each flat is meant to be isolated in the event of a fire and sprinklers were installed in the stairwells and passageways to provide safe® exit routes, that would seem a compromise.

Might be talking nonsense, but it's a thought.

Sadly if the tenants feel inconvenienced due to installation of fire sprinklers all the more need to demolish every building. Bring all buildings up to code.

If the tenants are still willing and able to complain about new buildings for living it won't matter. By bringing all buildings to code prevents years of litigation and more than likely save thousands of lives in the future. It's the right thing to do. Stop making excuses and fix or prevent the problems in the first place.

easy-lift guy