Accountant makes major VAT return error...

We prepare a lot of our clients VAT returns for varying reasons, either time, compliance or that we do the book keeping as well but in the main it's to ensure the figures are correct. If the figures aren't correct then there's a problem.

Many clients now use cloud based packages such as Sage, Xero or Freeagent depending on their requirements which helps save a lot of time/cost. Excel is just as simple and have a number of guys that supply details on spreadsheets as well.

If an accountant doesn't save you as much as their fees in tax/vat a year when compared to doing it yourself, then there's something wrong.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We prepare a lot of our clients VAT returns for varying reasons, either time, compliance or that we do the book keeping as well but in the main it's to ensure the figures are correct. If the figures aren't correct then there's a problem.

Many clients now use cloud based packages such as Sage, Xero or Freeagent depending on their requirements which helps save a lot of time/cost. Excel is just as simple and have a number of guys that supply details on spreadsheets as well.

If an accountant doesn't save you as much as their fees in tax/vat a year when compared to doing it yourself, then there's something wrong.

This.

I've just sent a stroppy email to them. Honestly! What's gone wrong?! They've submitted all previous by interpreting the spreadsheet correctly but it would seem the top man in the firm isn't IT literate. First he submits the figures from a year ago, then says this years last qtr only had 3 figures on which isn't acceptable. He's looking at the 2013 tab with rough calcs on pre vat reg. Give me strength. The freaking 03-05/16 tab is right there you DUMBASS! Then he has the cheek to suggest I didn't email the sheet through promptly enough - 6th June! They had all the time until the submission deadline to call me for clarification. What utter incompetence.

This.

I've just sent a stroppy email to them. Honestly! What's gone wrong?! They've submitted all previous by interpreting the spreadsheet correctly but it would seem the top man in the firm isn't IT literate. First he submits the figures from a year ago, then says this years last qtr only had 3 figures on which isn't acceptable. He's looking at the 2013 tab with rough calcs on pre vat reg. Give me strength. The freaking 03-05/16 tab is right there you DUMBASS! Then he has the cheek to suggest I didn't email the sheet through promptly enough - 6th June! They had all the time until the submission deadline to call me for clarification. What utter incompetence.

As suggested earlier bud . Hire a different firm of accountants :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Big day in court tomorrow!

I've taken HMRC to the Royal Courts of Justice (I know, it means crossing the Tamar and hauling my ass up to the big city, but I'm optimistic that it will be worth the effort.)

Already gave them a bloody nose at Tribunal, now going for the big push!

You've got to laugh at the ineptitude of the organisation. Court hearing was notified to me & HMRC 3 June 2016.

On 6 July HMRC wrote (in reply my my correspondence in APRIL!) saying they were waiting notification of application to appeal.

On 6 Jul 2016, at 15:16, [email protected] wrote:

Dear Mr Johnson

I refer to your email to Mr Brown dated 28 April 2016. I am sorry that you have not had an earlier response.

You may be aware that Mr Brown has now retired and your email arrived shortly after he started a period of extended leave prior to finally leaving the Department. Unfortunately due to an oversight the email was not picked up from Mr Brown’s email address until now. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I understand that a hearing of your application for permission to appeal has taken place and HMRC are awaiting the outcome of this hearing before taking any further action. Should your application be successful the appeal will pass to a different team within HMRC’s Solicitor’s Office and Legal Services to continue working the case. If this were to happen we would notify you of who to contact in future.

Until such time as the outcome of your application is known if you have any questions please contact either me or my manager, to whom I have copied this email.

Yours Sincerely

Correspondence address: HMRC SOLS | S0927| Newcastle | NE98 1ZZ

On 8 Jul 2016, at 23:29, Kevin Johnson MBE wrote:

Dear Ms Ashworth,

Excuse me if I don’t thank you for your email.

Frankly, it comes as no surprise given the appalling history of administrative ineptitude I have experienced from HMRC.

No, I was not aware, neither do I have any comprehension how you might think I may have been, nor would I consider it in any way relevant as some kind of excuse, that Mr Brown had retired.

Your apology is noted, albeit an irrelevance, but will be included in the summary of events which will form an overarching complaint when (if) we ever reach a conclusion to this situation.

The decision to allow the appeal was notified to myself and HMRC on the 3 June 2016 as being listed for hearing 19 July at Royal Courts of Justice.

You may wish to update yourself, and your manager (who, incidentally, was copied on the notice of listing from the Upper Tribunal) and try to get a grip of the situation.

Kevin Johnson MBE

Might need a few sharpeners to get myself to sleep tonight!

597671837a664_ScreenShot2016-07-18at19_46_44.png.e6d38b233a541650d764bfa4f8a2a630.png