Brexit impact

Logsnstuff

I don't actually think that the UK will survive Brexit.

Not one to ever agree with Nicola Sturgeon, she apparently did broach the topic of a four country lock for the EU referendum with Cameron. All four countries of the Union would have to vote to Leave. He rejected this call. Seems foolish now.

The fact of the matter is that whilst the majority of people in Scotland do not wish to leave the UK, a larger majority do not wish to leave the EU. Between siding with an England that has proven itself rather intolerant of foreigners and the Scots, I'm surprised to say I'd side with the Scots now. It might be economic suicide given that Scotland does far more trade with the rest of the UK, but frankly, I honestly believe that the UK is fooked now anyway.

Not so :-

Scots voting for UK: 2,001,926 (55.3% of 3,619,915 turnout)

Scots voting for EU:- 1,801,752 (67.2% of 2,681,179 turnout)

If you can't even do simple arithmetic correctly, then I'm disinclined to trust your economic forecasts too...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I am joining this conversation a bit late in the day. But here are my predictions :-

1. The EU was screwed prior to our decision to leave, leaving will just speed up the process. The attitude ( post our decision) of the five un elected EU leaders speaks volumes ! They haven't learned and will not learn. The EU is doomed. Getting out early, we will fair better than most

2. Post actual exit there will be little impact on trade - import or export. Ultimately, governments do not make trade, businesses do. There are stacks of examples countries outside of the EU that have achieved much better trade results than those inside.

3. Scotland will not leave the United Kingdom. They might have voted to remain in the EU but they did not vote to adopt the Euro which would be a prerequisite of any deal to leave and re join the EU. In any case as an independent they would hardly boost the EU coffers, as an independent they would be in a financial mess and hardly an attraction to the EU members.

4. Labour will self destruct, the conservatives may as well ( though less risk here) . The next four months will see a step change in the way that UK politics operates. The priority for the next four years is pre and post Brexit management and cross party allegiances will be formed that will then go on to shape our future political structure.

5. Populist politics will die, future leaders will learn that the risks of giving the masses the right to make important decisions when the vast majority of those doing so ( myself included) don't have sufficient understanding of the subject they are making the decision on - is a risk not worth taking.

Should be an exciting couple of years, but if I am correct then don't rush into

making any financial decisions as a result of Brexit. This will be a long burn and leave us in a better position than most.

Edited by Duffryn

If you can't even do simple arithmetic correctly, then I'm disinclined to trust your economic forecasts too...

Semantics. You can use the figures to prove either point of view. Of the electorate that voted, a larger proportion voted to remain in the EU. Or alternatively, to support your view, a larger number voted to stay in the UK.

As a Unionist, in both senses of the word, it's depressing but not surprising that polls are putting support for Scottish independence over 50% now. There should have been the four country lock. It would have been more democratic.

Semantics. You can use the figures to prove either point of view. Of the electorate that voted, a larger proportion voted to remain in the EU. Or alternatively, to support your view, a larger number voted to stay in the UK.

As a Unionist, in both senses of the word, it's depressing but not surprising that polls are putting support for Scottish independence over 50% now. There should have been the four country lock. It would have been more democratic.

hows it democratic for 5 million scots to overrule 55 million in england, when Scotland voted remain they knew this referendum was coming and it would be a UK vote and thats what they chose

hows it democratic for 5 million scots to overrule 55 million in england, when Scotland voted remain they knew this referendum was coming and it would be a UK vote and thats what they chose

It's not, but it's also not democratic for the English to pull the Scots out either. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of situation.

It's not, but it's also not democratic for the English to pull the Scots out either. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of situation.

I think his point is that when we voted to stay " better together" that we accepted that we were part of the democratic decisions made while we are " better together".

:001_huh: You can't say that!!!! He is proper clever you know, much more cleverer than what we are:001_huh:

I know I am joining this conversation a bit late in the day. But here are my predictions :-

1. The EU was screwed prior to our decision to leave, leaving will just speed up the process. The attitude ( post our decision) of the five un elected EU leaders speaks volumes ! They haven't learned and will not learn. The EU is doomed. Getting out early, we will fair better than most

2. Post actual exit there will be little impact on trade - import or export. Ultimately, governments do not make trade, businesses do. There are stacks of examples countries outside of the EU that have achieved much better trade results than those inside.

3. Scotland will not leave the United Kingdom. They might have voted to remain in the EU but they did not vote to adopt the Euro which would be a prerequisite of any deal to leave and re join the EU. In any case as an independent they would hardly boost the EU coffers, as an independent they would be in a financial mess and hardly an attraction to the EU members.

4. Labour will self destruct, the conservatives may as well ( though less risk here) . The next four months will see a step change in the way that UK politics operates. The priority for the next four years is pre and post Brexit management and cross party allegiances will be formed that will then go on to shape our future political structure.

5. Populist politics will die, future leaders will learn that the risks of giving the masses the right to make important decisions when the vast majority of those doing so ( myself included) don't have sufficient understanding of the subject they are making the decision on - is a risk not worth taking.

making any financial decisions as a result of Brexit. This will be a long burn and leave us in a better position than most.

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

A very good calm and wise post imo.:001_smile:

Semantics? Well it was posted as "fact": a "fact" that is demonstrably wrong.

Now you go quoting polls - which told us that a hung parliament was going to happen last year & that we would vote to remain this year.