End of an era for me

Busy Daddy

What would be your 3 top tips to any new firewood merchant?

You obviously have a massive amount of experience.

Unless you have direct access to timber at the moment then import it by the container kiln dried. Then all you need in handling gear and a loader.

A

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told many years ago by an estate woodsman it's a damn hard way to make a living, he wasn't wrong, I'd have to second the simple approach if you haven't got loads of money tied up in machinery then your not going to be slogging yourself to pay for it 👍

Another vote here for the simple way, I spli all mine with a second hand eBay log splitter that runs off my digger(which I would have anyway), or an axe, the hoses to power the splitter cost more that the splitter did!

I can split all day on 5 litres of 2 stroke and the same in diesel, if that and can comfortably split £500 a days worth on my own, I just wish I had the customer to let me do logs full time!

Its a sensible way to earn extra money through the winter from your tree waste if that's how you do it. We have to buy around 3 artics in to keep up with demand. We keep it simple too, just a saw, splitter, barn and a truck. Its a part time job with a part time wage. To be honest its hardly worth all the hard work and grief.

The main issues are finding a good yard with sufficient storage, finding local cord wood timber and of course customers. Most of whom expect bone dry logs like they came from Tesco online the next day then trow them under a tarp at the back of the garage.

I'll probably be giving it up next year.

I got thinking , my best purchase to do with firewood has got to be my tipping pickup .

It would take about 15 to 20 mins to through out 1.5 cube of logs , the pickup would hold 3 cube and take about 30 secs to empty

Whats your best buy ??

First off good luck with the future :thumbup1:

Best buy for pounds spent to time saved would the Loadhandler. Not as quick to unload as a tipper but saves a lot of time for very little expenditure.

First off good luck with the future :thumbup1:

Best buy for pounds spent to time saved would the Loadhandler. Not as quick to unload as a tipper but saves a lot of time for very little expenditure.

+ 1. They are really useful and one can back in most garages and still use the Loadhandler where as you can't use a tipper.

yes they are very good i had one it just fell to bits and it allways left some in

I think the tipper conversion was about 3k with a split swinging board to seperate 2 single loads you could back down a narrow alley and tip without getting out just a yank on a rope to unlatch the back door

I was difficult to tip in garages a few close calls tipping inside and of course when the logs came out the pickup would rise 6" or so