£38K is the current UK average wage, are business owners working for less??

skyhuck

It would seem unwise to draw a salary of that size from the business. If I didn't keep buying new kit then I could, but each new machine I buy improves my efficiency and increases my output. There are so many tax deductible perks of self employment, I'm not sure why you would put yourself in a position to have a substantial tax bill. That being said, if I start making millions, I'll happily pay the tax bill and take my holiday in the Maldives!

It depends wether you "live to work or work to live".

I have a wife and 4 chidden, I'm far more interested in giving them a good standard of life than I am with having nice new kit.

My business is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think a 50k gross salary is a pipe dream for most running a small U.K tree firm with 2-3 staff.

Here in France it's purist fantasy.

Ty

It isn't, but the longer people keep thinking that way the harder it is to achieve and only a few will achieve it.

I priced the removal of 2 medium-sized spruce, I said £300+VAT. The customer was delighted, it was much lower than he anticipated and wanted to know how soon I could do it. But he had another chap coming to quote in the morning, so it was only fair he let him quote.

Other guy quoted £180:001_rolleyes:

So many put so little value on their time and skill:thumbdown:

Personally, I think a 50k gross salary is a pipe dream for most running a small U.K tree firm with 2-3 staff.

Here in France it's purist fantasy.

Ty

all these sort of replies make me wonder...Are you lot claiming this is unobtainable just trying to defend your interests by playing down what you're earning, or you genuinely make substantially less than this and see no other way ?

It isn't, but the longer people keep thinking that way the harder it is to achieve and only a few will achieve it.

I priced the removal of 2 medium-sized spruce, I said £300+VAT. The customer was delighted, it was much lower than he anticipated and wanted to know how soon I could do it. But he had another chap coming to quote in the morning, so it was only fair he let him quote.

Ouch they must be desperate for work!

was it half a days job,

It depends wether you "live to work or work to live".

I have a wife and 4 chidden, I'm far more interested in giving them a good standard of life than I am with having nice new kit.

My business is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

That is a fair point.

I should qualify my statement by saying that in striving for greater efficiency and output, it's in an effort to eventually make a lot of money and retire early!

Ouch they must be desperate for work!

£180 - £36 tax (assuming it's declared and at the lower rate)

= £144

£30 Weigh in for waste (assuming it's taken away and disposed properly)

= £114

£80 Something for a second bloke (maybe)

= £34 (excluding fuel & kit costs)

and then back in the real world - single bloke, burn the brash, make a few quid on the logs, takes 2 days to bash through it, paid cash undeclared, he might make a ton a day for 2 days....

I suppose it's better than being on the dole.... Unless he's claiming as well then it's probably a nice little tickle....