jomoco

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who the F would brace a failed limb over a building???? :lol:

Who's used them with good results?

yes

How long has your oldest installation lasted?

10years going strong

Any failed installations?

no

I've been cabling and bracing trees for 30 years now, the vast majority of it old school drop forged steel through bolt installations, using EHS 7 strand cable along with cable grips for the last twenty years.

good for you

Not a fan of Cobra's encircling terminations why? non invasive has to be better than invasive?, nor any synthetics durability over time compared to steel, particularly in terms of heat and abrasion resistance.

fair comment, 2 different materials

Granted that static steel installations cause the tree to become dependent on the system's integrity quicker, and to a greater degree.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! must be good then !

But the frailty of synthetics,if you say so and inferior encircling termination attachment methods,(not really inferior are they? possibly superior of a system that also causes tree dependency, albeit at a slower rate,praise for COBRA! causes me to give Cobra cabling an emphatic thumbs down.Thumbs down for no real negatives?

In fact I'm such an old school ludditeor set in your ways/opnions that I don't believe in cabling at all unless it compensates for a real identifiable, quantifiable fault/flaw in the trees structure, either above or below ground.

Thanks for any feedback, both negative or positive.

Jomoco

Are there any of the many denizens in the arboreal world capable of chewing an EHS wire cable in half?

I suspect frayed polypropylene makes an excellent nest lining.

Jomoco

Now you're just clutching at straws :lol::lol::lol:

But scrap metal men will want your steel braces to weigh in at the scrap yard, no such problem with Cobra:001_tongue:

But you just stated that proximity to a fire would not cause limb failure because the system components caught fire and burned my friend.

Obviously that's not true when the static system's the only thing holding a genuine fault together.

Jomoco

If there is a genuine fault perhaps synthetic is not the answer, Josh said it best.

Although I have used ultra static at a hotel where it is the only tree within a quad, fire and trees are not a major issue in the UK so I have no problem specifying one.

I would also specify invasive steel and have done recently to hold firm an identified fault, this was in a private garden and the owner was well briefed on the risks, it was also a maple and in my opinion maple do not take well to invasive systems so suitable slings where used similar to these Tree Guard Noninvasive Dynamic Tree Cabling again an individual tree within an expanse of lawn is hardly liable to fire damage.

You've good eyes , it was like a brummell, but a limb hadn't failed one end had some how just come undone and was hanging there

When terminated like that the cobra system will not bite and can eventually over time simple walk itself out.

I get it guys.

Many of you think synthetic flammability' s not an issue, I respectfully disagree, and have provided links to the many reasons it does.

Durability superiority of traditional steel systems over synthetic systems will not matter to an insurance company on the hook in a court of law? Again I respectfully disagree.

Murphy's Law is not a valid systems design factor deserving of consideration as a matter of due diligence? Yeah right.

Jomoco

If there is a genuine fault perhaps synthetic is not the answer, Josh said it best.

Although I have used ultra static at a hotel where it is the only tree within a quad, fire and trees are not a major issue in the UK so I have no problem specifying one.

I would also specify invasive steel and have done recently to hold firm an identified fault, this was in a private garden and the owner was well briefed on the risks, it was also a maple and in my opinion maple do not take well to invasive systems so suitable slings where used similar to these Tree Guard Noninvasive Dynamic Tree Cabling again an individual tree within an expanse of lawn is hardly liable to fire damage.

Thanks for the hands on feedback Marc.

But cobra does sell static synthetic systems specifically to hold a split co dominant fault together.

Failure due to fire may not matter to folks in cold climes, I agree. But does cobra have a disclaimer for use in higher fire risk environs?

Jomoco