Cobra Synthetic Cabling Merits?

jomoco

The argument about steel cabling being invasive is overstated. Crown reducing a mature tree is far more 'invasive' than drilling a couple of small diameter bolts into large trunks/stems especially when you can almost guarantee CODIT will limit any decay (if cable is installed correctly)

I have put steel cable into the lower part of a structurally weak co dom stem and cobra higher up in the same stem. This means both systems do the job they were made for.

The fire issue in the UK is laughable.

Nicely put.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should be getting some input from CDF and CalFire on this subject within the next few days. I'll post their opinions here upon receiving them.

So you guys got no problems installing a cobra system in white birch trees eh?

Jomoco

Would steel bracing not attract lightning strikes?😧

Lightening strikes do start forest fires, and I suspect the men n women fighting those fires would prefer steel support systems holding the trees together over their heads.

You'd feel differently in their boots I gather?

Jomoco

Good find, but some of the old steel bracing I've removed on takedowns has been far from small.

One old holm oak we did had huge steel collars with big chains supporting laterals, installed decades ago.

I think there's s place for both systems.

Everyone should use Cobra from now on, but only if we also install lightning protection at the same time, that way the carefully installed copper wires can guide the lightning away from the cobra braced limbs saving the synthetic fibres from catching fire.

Jomoco, see the leather cambium saver? is it true you came up with the name "cambium saver" but couldn't get it patented due to the similar hoses used to protect newly planted trees? I seem to remember you talking about this years ago on another forum. Also, is that why when Buckingham patented the ring to ring friction saver they called it a "friction saver" and didn't use your "cambium saver" term?

This analysis on lightning truck trees by Purdue seems pretty well documented IMO.

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-FAQ-9-W.pdf

But if lightning follows the highest moisture content in the tree to ground, the inner xylem in dry conditions, and wet outer bark during rainy conditions?

Would a sopping wet synthetic cable becoming energized heat it beyond its 175 degree Fahrenheit melting point?

Even Zeus don't like synthetics?

Jomoco

Everyone should use Cobra from now on, but only if we also install lightning protection at the same time, that way the carefully installed copper wires can guide the lightning away from the cobra braced limbs saving the synthetic fibres from catching fire.

Jomoco, see the leather cambium saver? is it true you came up with the name "cambium saver" but couldn't get it patented due to the similar hoses used to protect newly planted trees? I seem to remember you talking about this years ago on another forum. Also, is that why when Buckingham patented the ring to ring friction saver they called it a "friction saver" and didn't use your "cambium saver" term?

It's all too bloody true mate.

But I'm well aware of my minor league lone wolf status in the tree industry.

Pretty much an admitted rabble rouser who flips out every time another groundies gets eaten alive in a whole tree chipper. The latest of which just occurred in NYC a few days ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-york-worker-killed-tree-grinder-accident-38896869

Jomoco

Edited by jomoco
Link

It's all too bloody true mate.

pity you never got that patent on "the cambium saver" name. Nice one for trying though, although it must've been a costly venture.

Funny thing is, there must be more climbers today using some kind of cambium saver than those who use none. But the manufacturers market them as a hybrid of a cambium saver/rope saver ie ART - Ropeguide, Treemagineer/DMM - Multi Saver etc.

If no one's ever said it before - Cheers for coming up with the idea, it was probably long overdue when you thought it up.