Help with top handle chain running constantly.

jfc

Seals tend to go gradually, the symptoms you describe are more similar to a big air leak.

I would check the impulse line (rubber tube under the airbox part of the handle above the fuel cap) is still connected and if OK, make sure the manifold isn't split.

One test, get the saw idling on the ground, hold the top handle and, pushing the engine unit to the ground with the other hand, pull the handle around a bit and if there is a split manifold, the idle will change.

If this is all OK, it may be carb issues but these are generally changeable and stop the saw revving well.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubber boot from carb to engine splits but I would at a guess say it sounds like a broken clutch Spring . Does the saw stall when applying the chain brake.

The OP said the idle was running fast so unlikely to be a clutch spring unless he got the symptoms wrong.....which may be the case, and wouldn't be the first time an owner has given me duff info.....you know who you are:001_rolleyes:

The OP said the idle was running fast so unlikely to be a clutch spring unless he got the symptoms wrong.....which may be the case, and wouldn't be the first time an owner has given me duff info.....you know who you are:001_rolleyes:

But it's surprising how many people think the idle speed is high just because the chain is spinning (due to clutch springs)

Most cases are simply the springs.

Thanks folks for the advice. I am not very mechanically minded:confused1: so apart from the clutch springs most of what was suggested is a bit beyond my knowledge, so it confirmed I needed to send it in for repair.

It was definitely idling fast, and wasn't stalling when chain brake was on. It was useful knowing it was unlikely to be anything really simple!

Fingers crossed it isn't terminal.

Cheers.

This has happened to mine in the past.

I would check to see if some little bit of wood is fouling throttle linkage behind carb.

Then I would clean carb - there are good videos on you tube - it's pretty simple, takes 10 minutes and good to know how to do this anyway

These have fixed it for me and I'm no mechanic.

Then if still a problem I would go spend some cash at the shop.

Thanks