Justified ?

devon TWiG

A recent event fairly local to me received press publicity ( not sure why ) where 2 contractors were asked to price a job ( dead Elm removal I think ) contractor a) completed THEIR risk assessment and considered a MEWP was required ..... Contractor b) ... was seen doing the job at a later date using a rope and harness ....... contractor a) was aggrieved that b) won the job , presumably cheaper than a) and has made strong representation to the Authority for whom the job was for about the fact that b) did not use a MEWP and was therefore cheaper , does anyone feel this is right ? have you done this yourself ? ( or considered it ) surely the RA is the opinion of each contractor ( although in some circumstances thing are not a matter of opinion but fact eg power lines in the crown ) also does the client awarding contracts actually read RA's and are influenced by them ? and what is the position of the client ,as they are likely to accept the lowest quote ( I am assuming here that a,&b, are both on a list of approved contractors for the Authority )....interested in peoples opinions .....

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A recent event fairly local to me received press publicity ( not sure why ) where 2 contractors were asked to price a job ( dead Elm removal I think ) contractor a) completed THEIR risk assessment and considered a MEWP was required ..... Contractor b) ... was seen doing the job at a later date using a rope and harness ....... contractor a) was aggrieved that b) won the job , presumably cheaper than a) and has made strong representation to the Authority for whom the job was for about the fact that b) did not use a MEWP and was therefore cheaper , does anyone feel this is right ? have you done this yourself ? ( or considered it ) surely the RA is the opinion of each contractor ( although in some circumstances thing are not a matter of opinion but fact eg power lines in the crown ) also does the client awarding contracts actually read RA's and are influenced by them ? and what is the position of the client ,as they are likely to accept the lowest quote ( I am assuming here that a,&b, are both on a list of approved contractors for the Authority )....interested in peoples opinions .....

'Does anyone feel this is right'....... Ya sound like me.:001_smile:

What's right and what earns a crust are two totally different things.

S'why im skint most the time.

What a conundrum! As far as I'm aware the LA will get quotes from a list of arb approved guys and just go for the cheapest one. I don't think they would too interested in much else. If contractor B knew contractor A planned to use a mewp and then took the risk doing the climbing the tree in order to under cut them.. Then I guess contractor A would have a good grounds to be miffed. I remember something about climbing a tree should only be done if there are no other options available???

It does seem arb approval can be a bit of a farce at times. This is a pretty good example tbh

Working for my local authority ive seen a lot of contracts being given to companies that give a competative quote.

Id like too say the risk assessment and h&s compliance are a factor in deciding who wins the contract...but id be lying.

In my experience a lot of contracts are won purley on the financial aspect im afraid

Working for my local authority ive seen a lot of contracts being given to companies that give a competative quote.

Id like too say the risk assessment and h&s compliance are a factor in deciding who wins the contract...but id be lying.

In my experience a lot of contracts are won purley on the financial aspect im afraid

Well I'm sure the taxpayer wouldn't have it any other way.

Ps I'm with Jonny Walker on this one.

Well I'm sure the taxpayer wouldn't have it any other way.

Ps I'm with Jonny Walker on this one.

Cheap isnt always best mick as im sure you know.

Surley a compromise between price and a reputable company that will do the job properly adhering to h&s guidelines would be preferable.

I used to sub into a LA. I put a quote into the local manager, he gave me the quote back and told me I wasn't charging enough........ Go away and add something to it he said.

Perceived value. If it's too low, even if the service or product is great, people will opt out as it's "too good to be true".