Training employees.. Fair and reasonable?

benedmonds

I can see both sides of the story here, if it was me I would have asked them to accept a deal similar to what you are proposing, just to see their response. I like you would have jumped at the chance. Maybe those who are less keen aren't really the type of guys you want to have around for years to come...

If they had accepted the deal I would pay them the full whack, they are obviously good eggs who deserve it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's fair if they want to do the training as well, if they left you it would help them in their next job.

If they don't want the training it's harder because no one wants the cost.

Even if you get them to sign a clause saying they'll stay X amount of time you would never get that money back and the lawyers fees wouldn't make it worth it.

You would have to pay wages as there employed. Self employed no.

Provided the training agreement is properly worded you start by holding any "in hand" and unpaid wages against the continually depreciating balance. Any remaining unpaid balance could be chased through the small claims courts with no need for lawyers.

I did give them the option of doing it locally and they would not have had to take holiday..

So why didn't they choose the option of doing it locally?

Wish work would pay for my courses! I'm also paying for my own and taking holidays at the same time to attend!

You need to pay wages as they are 'working'. You are buying their time and dictating their activity for a number of days. As stated above ensure some sort of PRE training contract is in place to prevent them leaving as soon as they are trained without reimbursing you. You need to give them the option of signing the contract and the option of receiving the training, you can't force someone into a payback contract. You can however state that without the qualification there is likely to be a restriction on their progress within the company.

It's not fair to ask them to take annual leave to go on a course that you want them to do.

It is fair however to expect them to get themselves to a local course venue instead of the yard for the duration of the course.

If they haven't got the skills / quals you need they could face being laid off

Leaving you to replace them with qualified people that suit your business needs

I too paid for all my own training in all my own time and think your offer is more than good

A compromise may be for them to do it in unpaid leave rather than use up their hols