Employee Pay During Weather Downtime

FatherJack

Regarding bad weather......get the tree down and stacked up .Chip and remove at a later date . Obviously if the land /garden will permit ? Otherwise have a big maintenance day .....and if the lads ain't mechanically minded get the buggers splitting logs ? ............... The most logs split in a day wins a meal ........Ha ha ha you guessed it only at my buy one get one free pub ...Love it I do :biggrin:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't lay face bricks in heavy rain. Blocks and footings you can andMost tiles you can, roofs you can pitch.

When i was bricklaying/ general building on paye we used to work till the pants were wet and knock off or try to find inside work. When i was employed on a self employed basis we had a ring round In the morning to see what we felt like or what we had on we could do. No work no pay.

The modern mentality is more often more take than give. My rights and all that. You have to pay them contracted hours, as most mention I've always been flexible to do other stuff when employed or holidays.

Now self employed I work for people by the hour and when not able to due to the weather I do other things that tend to get neglected. Maintainence, repairs DIY etc.

I'm only passing through once and hate wasting time idling.

But many folk now can't miss a weeks pay because they spent it already innit!

The modern mentality is more often more take than give. My rights and all that. You have to pay them contracted hours, as most mention I've always been flexible to do other stuff when employed or holidays.

Now self employed I work for people by the hour and when not able to due to the weather I do other things that tend to get neglected. Maintainence, repairs DIY etc.

I'm only passing through once and hate wasting time idling.

But many folk now can't miss a weeks pay because they spent it already innit!

It isn't like that, is it?

I worked three days in the Midlands last week, stayed at a airbnb place first night (our kid was away).

If that job had been canceled should I just drive my van back home, after paying a night for digs?

where i work our employer has a policy on snow days - covers wind etc so generally bad weather deal.

if they declare the estate you work on closed due to weather then you get days pay, if you dont get there then you lose pay.

now i am groundsman, so under gardens team, who in my nearly 20 years there havent had a declared snow day...

yet the others, castle, office, shop, resteraunt, rangers all get snow days, often a week or so a year.

So i can say be cautious in policy cause its easy to annoy some folks, for the days i know weather can be poor i keep indoor maintence or tractor works so never short of a job

It isn't like that, is it?

I worked three days in the Midlands last week, stayed at a airbnb place first night (our kid was away).

If that job had been canceled should I just drive my van back home, after paying a night for digs?

Not for you maybe. I only work local.

When I did away from home work, me and the lad I worked with did long days by mutual consent and got home as early as possible. Maybe did the job a day or two quicker. In contrast to the other lads who spun it out whilst the boss wasn't around.

If I had PAYE lads I'd have them looking after my kids and tidying up house and stuff if we were weathered off.

I'd go to the pub all day.

I reckon a three man team would take a good couple of days to sort out the wife's boot collection in the hallway cupboard.

.......so is the latter sentence a euphemism?

For PAYE I have it written into the contracts that if they can get to work then we can get a truck out and do something. If they can't get to work then it's a holiday.

They have the option of calling to check if work is happening if the weather is really bad.

I also state in the contract that during severe weather when the booked job can't happen the work available may not specifically be tree works but could be walling at the yard, splitting logs. If we resort to these tasks staff are given the option to take a holiday.

For subbies I will always discuss options. If they want work then as above it could be walling if it isn't possible to complete the booked work.