Employee Pay During Weather Downtime

FatherJack

For PAYE I have it written into the contracts that if they can get to work then we can get a truck out and do something. If they can't get to work then it's a holiday.

They have the option of calling to check if work is happening if the weather is really bad.

I also state in the contract that during severe weather when the booked job can't happen the work available may not specifically be tree works but could be walling at the yard, splitting logs. If we resort to these tasks staff are given the option to take a holiday.

For subbies I will always discuss options. If they want work then as above it could be walling if it isn't possible to complete the booked work.

More than fair IMO.

The thing that gets me is people that book me in then ring last minute to call the job off.

I was subbing into a company a few weeks ago in Huntingdon a good hour and half from my place. I got out of bed at 4am left before 5, sitting in the cafe near site when the phone rings........ We were thinking of giving it a miss, it's snowing:001_rolleyes:...... My reply was, yes there is a little white stuff falling out of the sky, not a lot mind.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't appreciate it when I've made the effort and some bugger else doesn't.

Who'd be a subby hey?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say if your PAYE it is only fair to pay the staff if wether is too bad, but that being said it's a yard day if nothing else.

If wether is catastrophic and you can't make it in I think maybe look at paying half wages as it can't be helped and no one is to blame.

But as an employer you can pick up the guys if there moaning that they can't make it in but they obviously can. I've seen many lads change there tune when the boss has said no worries I'll pick you up in the 4X4 and see this 4ft of snow filling your road.