What do people pay?

ChrisPlumpton

Be upfront with him we pay good experienced guys less on the books and subbies less than £100 and we are in south London. I often think the lads are worth more. If he's a good mate then a simple heart to heart explaining that lots of other places don't pay anywhere near that price for someone on the ground explain that to grow the business profits are needed for advertisement insurances premium increases additional kit breakdowns upgrades etc. If he's willing to invest his own money working alongside and being trained by you to help achieve relevant qualifications for him to become a longer term asset to you then a small increase could be considered.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree just wondering what his motivation could be other than greed😁😁

Yup, then he starts having all the running costs of a proper business..... he may soon realise the grass isnt greener.

If i go out and sub sometimes its great to have nothing to think about other than turn up and do the job and get paid!

You are already paying over the odds, £100 is good money for his unskilled work - even if he's a really good grafter. I don't know his age obviously but for a benchmark, at £12.50 for an 8 hour day he is considerably over the minimum wage levels Minimum Wage 2016 rates UK

Just picking up on your "self-employed" comment. I don't want to derail this thread, but in a very short review, if he is under your direction in the workplace, reliant on you for the work, and essentially doesn't work independently, then for insurance and tax reasons, he is an employee.

Just advice, but mind that you have the right employers liability insurance in place...

The benchmark you mention isn't comparing Apples with Apples.

Someone on the MW would be a full time employe that gets all their PPE and training paid for by the employer also they would be getting paid holidays, assuming they are not on a Zero hours contract (which should be done away with imho).

The subbie in this instance will be paying for all of the above out of his £100/day whilst gaining no holiday entitlement.

£6.70 (age dependent) MW, or £12.50/hour as a subbie, not much in the difference between take home pay, I would imagine.

The benchmark was referred to as an unskilled labour wage, which is typically what MW is.

He may be a sub, but he's is dragging brash/feeding the chipper, not operating saws so PPE requirements are minimal ie hard hat/defenders, boots and gloves. He would have already laid out these expenses in his other business, so essentially they are written off and he has recovered these costs through off-set tax deduction.

I presume he is wearing personal clothes and not a uniform, so maybe he has some costs there, but not enough to justify the current wage he is on let alone the 25% increase.

So, all in, yes I think he is doing the work of someone that could do it on MW - so a fair comparison IMO.