wearing a filter facemask when chainsawing

forestgough

Is a bandana proven as an effective protection against dust?

They filter better when wet of course.

Try it Mick my friend!

Sycamore can be pure hell without them, friggin Oleanders too.

I won't leave the ground without them.

As far as their ability to filter on a micronic scale, I'm clueless.

Jomoco

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 excellent posts in a row from Mr Dempsey !!( in my opinion ) ... also has anyone considered the atomised chain oil all around you ? and the 2 stroke fumes ? although they may be worth mentioning does anyone think they are serious enough to make the industry unhealthy ? I have heard of problems with saw millers particularly from Western red cedar and true cedar .... I have been doing this work for nearly 30 years and have not had, or heard of any problems ...On a different forum to do with woodwork I have seen posts saying about how "deadly " Yew and Laburnum are and should be used with great caution , but I have spent plenty of time cutting , trimming and chipping them with no ill effects in a fresh state yet always protect against dust if I am doing any sanding work ........

Take a look at the 'one reason I use aspen' thread. It can't do you any good breathing in 2 stroke fumes. I use aspen In hedge trimmers. As far as dust masks are concerned, I use mine because you just don't know what damage dust does to you. Why take The risk. And by the way, it doesn't matter how sharp your saw is, it will still produce dust. Just try cutting dry dead Dutch elm. However I do agree with mick on one thing, I've been in the industry since 1985 and don't know anybody with farmers lung. I'd just rather not take any risks myself.

Your sycamores, which, I understand, are close to our London planes are a right booger in the summer, I used to climb them in the old days, sneezing all the way.

Otherwise I have no problems with dust, apart from my eyes.

Like someone mentioned earlier, and has been talked about on another thread, old wood chip is to be treated with caution, forking it out in a closed space can be a serious issue.

As an aside, we do quite a few pine removals because of pine processionary moth nests.

Anyway we did one recently, covered in nests, I climbed, and had a work experience kid and my regular groundy cutting and chipping, both wearing masks, I was fine, the 16 year old, fine, the 30 year old suffered for a full week with rashes, he told me that had he not have worn a mask he'd have had breathlessness as well (through previous experience)

I never ware one for chainsawing, simply don't experience dust, period. Chips, yes, but too big to get past the nasal hairs. Ripping dry hardwood, yes, but I do that kind of thing once in a blue moon. Im more concerned about the fumes and atomised chain oil. Switched to low-emissions equipment and using rapeseend oil bar lube, reckon thats safe enough. For any king of fine woodwork, i.e. sanding, jigsawing, planning etc I want a mask.