wearing a filter facemask when chainsawing

forestgough

Spent a couple of hours this morning ringing up some fresh leylandii,when i got in the van that was parked about 20 feet away it was covered in fine particles and tiny hair type strands,it looked just the sort of stuff to get in your lungs.yet i hadnt noticed or felt any of it whilst sawing.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am a farmer and have always understood farmer's lung to be caused by the particles from damp mouldy material such as hay and wet corn.

A sharp chainsaw should not produce much dust unless the tree is rotten, but generally you can find a spot to saw with the wind in your favour,

The sharp Lucas Slabber working on Holm Oak produced a vast amount of dust and I had to wear both dust mask and goggles.

I wear these for yew as well and generally just the goggles with the Lucas sawing Ash with the swing blade and the Palax processor (Headphones on the Stihl helmet as well as the mesh shield)

The advice from us old'uns to all you invincible young'uns is not to take chances with your eyes, lungs and hearing as well as not taking chances with your fleshy bits (that includes trips to Amsterdam!)