after tips for brash burning

tree-fancier123

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some good advice on here, some not so good.

All those saying don't use petrol, why? Petrol is perfect for getting an intial flame going. Sure its possible without, but on most jobs time is of an essence. Get a small pile of dry wood for a start, and as said start small, don't be in a hurry to start throwing the big stuff on. With a bit of experience you'll know when you have a good enough heart in the fire to start loading it up. People mentioned used engine oil, thats a good tip but requires you specifically take a can of used engine oil with you. Personally I throw on a bit of chain oil as soon as theres a decent flame. Burns hotter than petrol but you must have that flame going.

Most important thing though, make sure you have some meat to cook at lunchtime...this in itself is an art. Personally I like to take some steak, wrap it well in foil, kick some of the fire to the side to reveal some nice glowing embers to cook on. This is the best aspect of having a fire on site.

Using petrol, diesel and tyres is wrong and dangerous

i'll add, the best cooking is to be done the following day. On sites where you are having multiple fires, the previous days fire is perfect. Kick off the ashes from the top, scoop out of hole from the hot embers and bury a nice gammon joint wrapped well in foil, cover it up and leave for 3-4 hours. By lunchtime you will have the best ever gammon joint to enjoy. Jar of home made chutney goes perfect with it

Never even thought of cooking like that. Next time the situation arises I'll make sure to go to the butchers before hand

The wind is your friend.

Start small, paper and firelighters, get some logs going and then load up slowly. Always stack the stuff going on, on the opposite side to the wind, so the wind blows the fire through your brash.

And as many have said. No petrol!

Diesel or chain oil if you need.

Or if your a farmer... Straw, string and a tyre

No tyres! A handful of straw and if you are desperate, a tiny amount of petrol for the initial ignition. But trying to use petrol to get green material burning is dangerous and futile - it burns too quickly to dry the wood out.

I'm not averse to a bit of used engine oil for getting a fire going but try and keep it out of the ground...