Why does tree work pay so bad in comparison to other trades?

RexPayne

Steady on mate. I hear the same from a lot of business owners. They work 14 hour days, seven day weeks, and earn less than the lowest brash dragger for their troubles.

Why? To provide jumped up climbers like me with a secure job, regardless of their own personal sacrifice.

Instead of your cynicism maybe you could recognise business owners for the charitable martyrs they are?

I am such a martyr.

Blessed are those who work for me...

Ty

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steady on mate. I hear the same from a lot of business owners. They work 14 hour days, seven day weeks, and earn less than the lowest brash dragger for their troubles.

Why? To provide jumped up climbers like me with a secure job, regardless of their own personal sacrifice.

Instead of your cynicism maybe you could recognise business owners for the charitable martyrs they are?

Hahahaha, excellent.

Surely in this day and age a good groundie would be worth £100 a day fully ticketed up with b+e and a good climber £120 just my opinion and also you just have the £50 a day brash draggers don't confuse them with a good groundie

Yeah they should, you are 100% correct. And the single reason they are not paid this is because companies aren't charging enough for the work. Everyone bemoans customers who are price shopping, but it all comes down to us at the end of the day. Business education is needed for the majority of tree companies. As a freelancer i've worked for quite a few companies over the years. Very few really know how to price work to realistically run a profitable business.

Yeah they should, you are 100% correct. And the single reason they are not paid this is because companies aren't charging enough for the work. Everyone bemoans customers who are price shopping, but it all comes down to us at the end of the day. Business education is needed for the majority of tree companies. As a freelancer i've worked for quite a few companies over the years. Very few really know how to price work to realistically run a profitable business.

This is very true.

Whilst the boss may earn more than a lot of the workers they seem to forget the boss starts a hour before them and is still working at 10pm to keep them busy. £ per hour the boss may not earn any more at all. I know I dont :laugh1:

That's what I think they are worth. it is the same round here firms sending climber and a groundie out with van and chipper for £300 -£400 a day and it's not enuf the groundie will be on £50 and climber £80 a proper tree surgery team should be £500 minimum there's to meny willing to under cut!afew of my mates are plumbers sparckeys and teacher and wouldn't even think about setting off for less that £150 a day tree work deserves To be the same level

That's what I think they are worth. it is the same round here firms sending climber and a groundie out with van and chipper for £300 -£400 a day and it's not enuf the groundie will be on £50 and climber £80 a proper tree surgery team should be £500 minimum there's to meny willing to under cut!afew of my mates are plumbers sparckeys and teacher and wouldn't even think about setting off for less that £150 a day tree work deserves To be the same level

Is this really that common? That's silly money even +VAT IF you have good kit and work efficiently those figures would cover a mornings work, I know of people who work for that but it's because they're very slow as Bob said earlier in the thread.

Yeah I see but then is that a gov official.

There are others that say it's not your issue as you are driving a completely different vehicle to your car. Eg if you drive a lorry or a bus for a living it is a completely deferent thing to driving a car. Also your risk of an accident is much higher if you are driving for a living. Also if you are not a named driver on there insurance then it cant be traced back to you personally.

It just got me thinking if I crash in a work van and it means I'll loose out with my no clams then maybe I should be asking for more money.

I'm not saying your wrong. I just don't want to end up in the crap if something does happen.

Would it be different for different policy's maybe?

Yeah I see but then is that a gov official.

There are others that say it's not your issue as you are driving a completely different vehicle to your car. Eg if you drive a lorry or a bus for a living it is a completely deferent thing to driving a car. Also your risk of an accident is much higher if you are driving for a living. Also if you are not a named driver on there insurance then it cant be traced back to you personally.

It just got me thinking if I crash in a work van and it means I'll loose out with my no clams then maybe I should be asking for more money.

I'm not saying your wrong. I just don't want to end up in the crap if something does happen.

Would it be different for different policy's maybe?

why do people always have to complicate things and look for a way out? Its pretty cut and dry as far as I can see. When you get a new insurance quote one of the questions they ask is 'have you had any accidents or claims on the past 5 years'. its as simple as that