How would....

bluebedouin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If required just spike it cutting the worst of the ivy off on the way up. Sequoia bark is so thick it wont make any odds.

Top anchor, take spikes off and then finish the ivy removal on the way down. Looks a pain what ever way you do it.

Get as much off with the pole pruners and ladders lanyarded to the tree first.

Also, the guy suggesting you lose weight and muscle it to the top has never had the joy of climbing a tree like that before!

Big shot over the top, basal tie off and access SRT. Decent anchor installed up top and start peeling the ivy back out the crown and down the stem a ways. The ivy looks too thick to leave unnatended for my liking.

If no kit for SRT and no mewp then a brutal climb up the ivy itself is in order. Usually its not to bad when it is mature like that, many crossing ivy stems creating handholds and nooks for toes. Silky saw can swipe away most of the greenery thats in your face. Clip in on the way up where you can, use the bigger stems of ivy if needed, if there is not too many chances to clip in make sure you use a retrievable anchor so that once you've climbed more than 500mm above it you can still get it back.

Looks worth a climb and a prune on the ivy. Have fun.

Big shot over the top, basal tie off and access SRT. Decent anchor installed up top and start peeling the ivy back out the crown and down the stem a ways. The ivy looks too thick to leave unnatended for my liking.

If no kit for SRT and no mewp then a brutal climb up the ivy itself is in order. Usually its not to bad when it is mature like that, many crossing ivy stems creating handholds and nooks for toes. Silky saw can swipe away most of the greenery thats in your face. Clip in on the way up where you can, use the bigger stems of ivy if needed, if there is not too many chances to clip in make sure you use a retrievable anchor so that once you've climbed more than 500mm above it you can still get it back.

the idea is to climb it for the fun of it, I'm not even sure he wants to get rid of the ivy..

Its why Isaid just get in it and go for it.. like you said, use to ivy to your advantage and then climb the rest freestyle..

apart from being scarred it can't be that hard can it?...

the idea is to climb it for the fun of it, I'm not even sure he wants to get rid of the ivy..

Its why Isaid just get in it and go for it.. like you said, use to ivy to your advantage and then climb the rest freestyle..

apart from being scarred it can't be that hard can it?...

Not that hard to free climb on ivy but it won't be very pleasant for the poor sod who has to get the pressure washer out to clean them off the pavement when a piece of ivy breaks away unexpectedly & they have no line attached.

First of all,thanks for the replies & suggestions.

So,to clarify a few points.

This is purely a recreational climb.I don't have access to a mewp/cherry picker or ladders.

I can't cut any ivy down as the tree is in a council owned compound & would probably constitute criminal damage.There are people working in the building weekdays & the gates are locked at night & weekends.

I'd be careful free climbing, the tree police are everywhere these days
Ordinary police & secca patrols too.

Get one of those Big Shot Catapault things.

The problem with a throw line is all the ivy,it's likely to get caught on the way down.

I've got a catapult which I shall be attaching a fishing reel to,the line of which,when retrieved,will be attached to paracord then to my rope.A bit long winded I know.

I'm hoping to be able to do that from outside the fence,don't think it will be possible though.

As a lot of people have said about the ivy,I'm just wondering whether it would be worth calling the tree officer on the council & telling him I think it could be damaging the tree.Then when they've cut it away,it'll give me a clear run!:001_smile:

They might even give one of you chaps the job.:thumbup1:

500mm above your anchor point...thats straight out of industry best practice lol :thumbup:

As a lot of people have said about the ivy,I'm just wondering whether it would be worth calling the tree officer on the council & telling him I think it could be damaging the tree.Then when they've cut it away,it'll give me a clear run!:001_smile:

They might even give one of you chaps the job.:thumbup1:

Wouldnt hold your breath on the council doin anything about it mate unless you can prove its dead,diseased or poses a threat to life or property.

Just one question why are you intent on climbing it ?

The trees on council land,your not doin any work too it soooo whats the point..?

No offence intended bud just curious to your motives for the reccie climb

Edited by stihlmadasever