Anyone?

woodwizzard

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ordered the 36" model. Unless it is made of tinfoil, I can't see there being too much to go wrong. I know you get what you pay for etc etc, but I have always thought that the alaskans seem a little over priced for a few bits of metal and some brackets, just my humble :awink:

Fair comment-I have just got a second hand Granberg off fleabay for 160 odd delivered, and that's about all I want to pay. The prices are way OTT, i reckon

Fair comment-I have just got a second hand Granberg off fleabay for 160 odd delivered, and that's about all I want to pay. The prices are way OTT, i reckon

The Granberg mill is made in the USA in a family run factory that looks after it's workers.

Unfortunately that means it costs more to produce. I spent a huge amount of time and energy marketing them, websites, shows, videos etc - and all that costs money - that money can only come from selling the product.

And also I need to make some profit selling them.

The £ $ exchange rate now means they will be even more expensive...

But hey ho - such is the way of things....

All is relative. Not a few people spend/waste £200 on a weekend and have nothing to show for it on Monday.

How long would it take you to design and build your own from Scratch? Bet you can't make it for less in a garden shed @ £10 per hour plus materials without copying.

Trial and error wasted materials.

If it's a hobby and done right it has the potential to be a profit positive hobby.

Several run businesses with granberg mills.

Finally yes I think they are pricey. If everyone could pick them up in DIY stores for £30. Would it be worth doing?

Niche market leads to niche markets.

Stump grinders aren't cheap for what they are.

I have had my Alaskan mill for 15 years now and its been used regularly. As a cabinet maker/laser engraver I use all my own timber after I have kiln dried it. I dont think the chinese copy would lasted that length of time. For the occasional user wanting to try out milling its fine. The most important bit though is sharpening the teeth of the the chain. Get that wrong and no matter how good the saw or mill is, you arent going to be making many planks.