Coronet cuts

stihlmadasever

Hello all,

Im looking at doing my cs40 aerial pruning techniques and on reading up i came across coronet cuts,something ive never heard of before,the description is as follows.

A coronet cut is for producing a natural fracture effect in the cut stubs ends of the tree.It is carried out as a pruning treatment of the stub ends or limb to mimic the natural breakage.The form of the coronet cut is designed to shape the branch or trunk end surface to resemble the fracture that might be imagined following a storm to give it a shattered appearance.

Does anyone have experience of using this technique..?

Can anyone explain what situation this technique would be employed and what species of tree would benefit from it.

Thanks in advance to anyone answering

Cheers

You won't need to demo it for your assessment. I think David Humphries has done one or two in his time. He'll be along soon to elaborate.

I heard he invented the idea to pass off accidental tear cuts as B.S.3998...

No accident about it, t'is an art don't ya know :001_tt2:

One or two in amongst this compilation........

[ame]

[/ame]

Can't take the credit as others from the City of London at another site developed the technique after a significant number of veteran trees were killed during a large fire at a site in Kent during the 90's

http://www.treeworks.co.uk/downloads/8%20-%20Coronet%20cuts%20&%20retrenchment%20pruning%2017%20April%202003.pdf

No accident about it, t'is an art don't ya know :001_tt2:[/url]

Oh I believe you Mr H! It seems to be a very involved practice. Sadly not really used much in the low end domestic market.

One day I'll get the chance, and I'll post photos so you can tell me how rubbish I am at it :biggrin:

Oh I believe you Mr H! It seems to be a very involved practice. Sadly not really used much in the low end domestic market.

One day I'll get the chance, and I'll post photos so you can tell me how rubbish I am at it :biggrin:

chop a branch off and practice on the ground.. though for the life of me I can't see any good reason why anyone would want to do that on a tree...

I can see the ecological benefits but i think in an urban enviroment most people would be upset at leaving a tree in such a condition and questions would be asked regarding your sanity.

Ecology vs aesthetic i suppose.

I dunno the local lop it, top it & leg it type firms seem to do it all the time. If they stopped doing it then I wouldn't get all the calls to quote for tidying up the mess they made of things.