Landrover spare wheel

Pr04log

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to still 'bolt it' somewhere, bolt it to the inside of the chip box somewhere...

High up the side wall maybe, not at the back where it may get buried with chip though... :blushing:

Good idea like you say not at can end a puncture and full load of chip would not be a good combo !

Up to 300 TDi the bonnets were stronger and were braced differently on the underneath so could take the weight. It is my understanding TD5 onwards the bonnets are of a lighter construction and can fracture under the weight. I used to have one on my normally aspirated 90 and only put the spare on the bonnet as a last resort - does obscure vision and makes it extremely heavy to lift and dangerous if bonnet were to fall on you when you are under it!!

Can you not put a small roof rack on the truck cab and use it for the spare and other equipment?

Up to 300 TDi the bonnets were stronger and were braced differently on the underneath so could take the weight. It is my understanding TD5 onwards the bonnets are of a lighter construction and can fracture under the weight. I used to have one on my normally aspirated 90 and only put the spare on the bonnet as a last resort - does obscure vision and makes it extremely heavy to lift and dangerous if bonnet were to fall on you when you are under it!!

Can you not put a small roof rack on the truck cab and use it for the spare and other equipment?

That's why any factory fitted bonnet mounts had the stronger tubular one piece bonnet stay that clips on the underside when not in use then locates in hole in the scuttle when in use !

I think its to do with pedestrian safety, and not the strength of the bonnet. It would probably fail an MOT with it on, if the examiner knew his stuff.

Many pass every day with them on also the post 1999 builds have lighter weight bonnets fitted yes the removal of them post 1999 is due to safety but also post 1999 bonnets are not strong enough to last with a wheel on them they will crack !

......does obscure vision and makes it extremely heavy to lift and dangerous if bonnet were to fall on you when you are under it!!

I can vouch for them being heavy and dangerous. Mine is mounted on the rear door and one time when I took it off I basically slid it off the studs and let it drop to the floor.

However as I leaned over as I let it go it bounced back up and hit me under the jaw, a proper uppercut, not nice :nurse:

I did look at various places to fit the wheel on my Series 3 but in the end the bonnet was the safest place not to be hit by low branches or low doorways. It was in the way everywhere else as I have a tipping body.

On the plus side it does help with my arm strengthening exercises and it is a great place to put a few tools and the chainsaw when moving along the woodland a few yards.

By the way I have always meant to say "Nice Beaver" but some people seem to be offended by that!