contaminated diesel

Johny Walker

I tend not to introduce liquids to an engine that were not designed to be there. The producers of Redex you would hope have tested it in engines so probably worth a try. Engine oil is in the sump so should not cause problems mixed with fuel in low %. Why would you put motor bike oil in a diesel. Has any body actually tested during the long term test of the engine, no .

Good tip with the rag on the barrel Bob I have always canted them over with a small piece of wood so the water does not lay on the caps. I think they draw water in when they expand and contract in the sun. A fuel tank often produces its own water by heating up and cooling down so water does not always come in with a delivery. Worth checking the bottom of tanks regularly especially metal ones.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The motorist’s motivation for following this self-medication advice stems from a perception that low sulphur diesel has inadequate lubrication capabilities in the high-tech fuel pump and fuel injection hardware found in modern diesel engines. The basis for this is not that sulphur itself acts as a lubricant, but rather that trace amounts of polar molecules present in crude-oil give diesel good lubricity properties. It is true that the refinery process used to remove sulphur from diesel also tends to remove these polar molecules. However, it is quite simple to replace the lost polar molecules by adding a lubricity improver additive which is the universal norm for low sulphur diesel practiced by the oil industry throughout the world.

That's interesting: now are they saying that nowadays low sulphur diesel is as good a lubricant as of old?

Or that early on these "polar" molecules got stripped out with the sulphur and the lubricity got worse but now they are put back in?

Or it was always an urban myth that low sulphur diesel wore pumps out earlier than full fat diesel?

I never had fuel injector pump problems in the past but then I never ran small vans past 100k miles, now I drive one with 291k miles on the clock.

That's interesting: now are they saying that nowadays low sulphur diesel is as good a lubricant as of old?

Or that early on these "polar" molecules got stripped out with the sulphur and the lubricity got worse but now they are put back in?

Or it was always an urban myth that low sulphur diesel wore pumps out earlier than full fat diesel?

I am not so sure about this either Catweazle, I read an article in one of the truck journals years ago about the unprecedented volume of pump failures on older trucks ( up 60% but of what ?)when this low sulphur fuel came on line. The general consensus then was add oil but it was pointed out by some knob that HMRC would probably kick off about the loss of duty on the fuel/oil mix. I have had no failures but that could well be down to me adding the oil for the old clunkers.

Bob

I am not so sure about this either Catweazle, I read an article in one of the truck journals years ago about the unprecedented volume of pump failures on older trucks ( up 60% but of what ?)when this low sulphur fuel came on line. The general consensus then was add oil but it was pointed out by some knob that HMRC would probably kick off about the loss of duty on the fuel/oil mix. I have had no failures but that could well be down to me adding the oil for the old clunkers.

Bob

It could be that the early low sulphur fuel only had 3% bio now it has up to 7 % originally for a year or so there was no tax added to the bio element. This higher concentration of oil may help the older pumps. My plant certainly runs a lot cleaner on the new red diesel.

Years ago I ran low in a 300 tdi on the a303 and 3 garages in a row shut for refurb. There was probably 5 litres in the tank I had 10 litres of engine oil in the boot chucked it in. I was thinking with 3 tonne of trailer behind it would pull like a snail and smoke like a pig but it pulled better than running on diesel and went further ( reading the next day )

It could be that the early low sulphur fuel only had 3% bio now it has up to 7 % originally for a year or so there was no tax added to the bio element. This higher concentration of oil may help the older pumps. My plant certainly runs a lot cleaner on the new red diesel.

Years ago I ran low in a 300 tdi on the a303 and 3 garages in a row shut for refurb. There was probably 5 litres in the tank I had 10 litres of engine oil in the boot chucked it in. I was thinking with 3 tonne of trailer behind it would pull like a snail and smoke like a pig but it pulled better than running on diesel and went further ( reading the next day )

My old Disco 300tdi would run on all sorts of things Veg , Hyd ect great engines , pity about the rust pile it had to pull about

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago we had a mobile mechanic come to our Matbro,he had a funnel that separates the water,debris from the diesel. I see for one they are for sale on Amazon,called Mr Funnel fuel Filter and Water Separator. Would one of these help with some of the problems mentioned.

A few years ago we had a mobile mechanic come to our Matbro,he had a funnel that separates the water,debris from the diesel. I see for one they are for sale on Amazon,called Mr Funnel fuel Filter and Water Separator. Would one of these help with some of the problems mentioned.

They look awesome. I just Googled it and watch a promo video on youtube. I'm going to get one as I often buy a couple of months worth of red at a time.

• 2 weeks later...