Be careful out there

Shane

Plus it's usually young men who are the worst offenders, not the older drivers.

Young girls or blokes in suits on their mobiles more like. I walk up to the local shop along the High Street and see at least six in fifteen minutes. Blokes are the worst for cutting across you at the lights when you are driving straight on and they don't want to wait.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Il never forget felling the top out of huge beach along side a real busy country road , had traffic lights out and we stopped both ways , we had a winch tractor pulling the top over and i signaled to the guy on ground that there was huge dead limb that will probaly pop off over the road as soon as tractor starts to pull , , at that point a car thought sod it im not waiting ran the red light and as i thought the limb broke out luckly the groundsma spotted him and threw a ladder across the road. , had he not done that the car would be splat !! My heart was in my mouth felt like everything went in slow motion ,,, the best bit about it was there was an unmarked cop car 3 cars back from him , needless to say he got a right rollicking !!! From everyone , lucky lucky guy indeed

it frightens me sometimes to see the standard of driving on our roads old people seem to be the worse i say retests at 65 should be mandatory

Totally agree with you on this breeze. Day after day I see old people struggling to drive or shaking at the wheel of a car!

We had a near miss today and didn't even know it.

Working along a quiet(ish) lane in Findon village, clearing deadwood from a row of ash, sycamore, holly. Set up the usual section 8 configuration - even had the Landrover (with beacons) as the rear defence with a 10 mtr gap to the chipper/tipper.:001_smile:

Moved the whole lot along about 30-50 mtrs at a time.

After a couple of hours as I went back to move the signs along I saw the 'road narrows' sign (the one on the same side as the vehicles) flat on the ground.:001_huh:

At first I thought it must have blown over or maybe I hadn't assembled it correctly. When I got to it I saw that the rivets holding the upright to the base had been pulled apart by something, and the fibreglass vertical support was split. The horizontal bar that sits across the base of the triangle was bent at 45 degrees.

I then realised the bleedin thing had been hit by a passing vehicle.

It was 25 yards past the 'man with brolly' sign and right by the kerb, just 25 yards from the landy and completely fecked.:sneaky2:

None of us heard or saw anything!:confused1:

While I am annoyed at the twatishness of some drivers I guess we should be thankful it was only a sign costing a few quid that was hit rather than anyone on the crew!

Eyes needed everywhere.

Hi mate good to hear your ok mate I all so all most got hit one day years ago thanks Jon

Totally agree with you on this breeze. Day after day I see old people struggling to drive or shaking at the wheel of a car!

I think everyone under 30 should be banned from driving. Day after day I see youngsters struggling to drive.

Can you now see how ridiculous your statement is?

People think trees and chainsaws are dangerous, but working next to or on a road always seems much more dangerous to me. I've never done a traffic light job without some eejit running the red light, people flying past at speed when you've got a lane closed with the workforce in it, had cones knocked over, but never signs yet.

I don' think you can generalise who the worst drivers are, when we've had folk doing stupid things around road-works it has included, but isn't limited to: van drivers, bus drivers, mothers on the school run, business man types, pedestrians, pedestrians with kids in push-chairs!!!, old-folks, young-folks, folk in big flashy cars, folk in wee crappy cars and even the police! Everyone makes the occasional bad decision when driving. I think Mick's right, a lot of it is just frustration due to the increased volume of traffic.

One of the boys putting cones out for us a while back, traffic mgt company, almost got hit by a car coming round the corner, that was quite scary. Another was just back at work after the cushion truck he was in got hit be a truck on the motorway doing about 70, think it was 6 months he'd been off, the other driver wasn't as lucky :thumbdown:. Dangerous place to be on the roads - take care.