I received a call from HQ today

easy-lift guy

So I am at HQ and I received a call from Kim. Seems that A Bald Eagle had landed in our back yard. Under normal circumstances this may not seem odd except it was not actually a Bald Eagle, it was instead a Osprey which is smaller and also in the Fish Eagle Family, AKA a fish hawk. It seems that this time of year with Red Tide, a naturally occurring Alga Bloom found in the Gulf of Mexico birds of prey can and will eat infected fish and their toxicity levels spike leaving these really beautiful birds in a very bad way or worse with out a little help from Man.

Rodger, the man in the Picture holding Free bird, named by Kim works as a volunteer for The Wildlife Center of Venice. The rescue went well and so far Free Bird is recovering with antibiotics and lots of fresh uncontaminated fish to eat. I hope to post a video of his release in our back yard shortly hoping that he makes a full recovery. FYI Free Bird is a Young adult, The American Bald Eagle is Twice the size of the Osprey pictured.

easy-lift guy

59766efb2158c_Osprey3.jpg.6ec2d1c8d309edc2f9344e57e2ef5d82.jpg

59766efb1fc31_Osprey2.JPG.ee7b12628fcc765a08aea53e28672e60.JPG

59766efb1d97c_Osprey1.jpg.959ef49029ec84fd0a5729a5dce7e9f6.jpg

Edited by easy-lift guy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a sign Ted!

Obama's final State of the Nation Address......

Followed by a biblical sign!

It's the time of the eagle! (Well, Osprey, but I'm sure the makers of the Ben Hur were allowed some artistic licence in the props department!

I truly do hope that you are correct in so many ways:thumbup1: And of course your Avatar is truly SPOT ON!!

easy-lift guy

I have flown a Bald Eagle Steppe Eagle cross breed, big big birds, around 9lb but weightless when the open their wings in to the wind.

Hope the patient does well, these birds of prey need strict diet control when in captivity

Good point. The patient last time I checked was eating and being treated by a trained vet that specializes in the treatment of all birds big and small. I hope to have another update soon, thanks for enjoying.

easy-lift guy