West Lancashire is sinking....

Gardenmac

You have to realise this is a small island where land is at a premium.

Greedy developers and councils wanting more properties to build and tax and they aren't too fussy about where

Sea levels have risen 200mm in the last century and we keep making "improvements" to the landscape

As an example, this summer "Sport England" spent many tens of thousands of government grant money providing drainage for the village cricket field, now all that water (and other) that used to percolate into the river over many days gets there in moments then we wonder why the river floods the recently built skate park

Hi TREE I think you may have not got the nail on the head there to densely populated too much tarmac too much concrete nightmare up there feel sorry for is a lot worse than what the levels had it all the best stay safe John

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to realise this is a small island where land is at a premium.

Greedy developers and councils wanting more properties to build and tax and they aren't too fussy about where

Sea levels have risen 200mm in the last century and we keep making "improvements" to the landscape

As an example, this summer "Sport England" spent many tens of thousands of government grant money providing drainage for the village cricket field, now all that water (and other) that used to percolate into the river over many days gets there in moments then we wonder why the river floods the recently built skate park

Actually I do realize that the UK is a Small Island, and that land is at a premium. What bothers me is that " Greedy developers and councils wanting more properties to build and tax and they aren't too fussy about where"

There does not seem to be any accountability for this behavior.

Not to say that the same acts don't take place over here, they do however when caught and prosecuted the developers usually loose everything, and do time in the State or Federal pen. Some time depending on how bad their crime was they don't make it out under the normal length of their sentence.

easy-lift guy

Pretty sure the UK regulations for new-builds in flood risk zones are much tighter now (compared to what they used to be).

Unfortunately our weather weirding is only forecast to get more extreme, globally.

It's all unfolding as per 'The Age of Stupid' (future climate film by Franny Armstrong).

All we need now is a few more climate change deniers....

cheers, steve

Pretty sure the UK regulations for new-builds in flood risk zones are much tighter now (compared to what they used to be).

Its all as lame as fook. I am not in a flood risk zone but the LA has allowed development up hill from me and that's meant drainage and surfacing.

Now the drains cant cope and we regularly have surface water in the street, that ends up in the river and the people in the valley bottom start to grow gills.

DSC_8732.jpg.a9bfcd0f0cd044b14e0b812f7a97176f.jpg

Its all as lame as fook. I am not in a flood risk zone but the LA has allowed development up hill from me and that's meant drainage and surfacing.

Now the drains cant cope and we regularly have surface water in the street, that ends up in the river and the people in the valley bottom start to grow gills.

I agree they are still "lame as fook".... but also much tighter than they used to be.

It's all gonna be okay though.... David Cameron is on his way to the flood struck areas to talk the water away. Lock up your pigs!....

cheers, steve

p.s.... your photo reminds me of a very recent housing development in Coleford (by Persimmon). They installed big underground storm water tanks to enable the inadequate drainage pipes to cope. They have overflowed a number of times already.

Edited by SteveA

Lock up your pigs ?...

hahhahahah... LOL.

my twopennith worth.... allow insurers to insure who they want..

next time planning comes along an says its OK to build there, they can explain to the new owners why they allowed houses to be built on uninsurable land..

Actually I do realize that the UK is a Small Island, and that land is at a premium. What bothers me is that " Greedy developers and councils wanting more properties to build and tax and they aren't too fussy about where"

There does not seem to be any accountability for this behavior.

Not to say that the same acts don't take place over here, they do however when caught and prosecuted the developers usually loose everything, and do time in the State or Federal pen. Some time depending on how bad their crime was they don't make it out under the normal length of their sentence.

easy-lift guy

Well according to HMG we are short of housing and need to build more.

There are national targets to be met, its government, one department working contrary to the interests of another is not uncommon.

Its government, no one said it had to make sense.

If they need to build houses on flood plains they could build the houses on stilts.

Where I stay they built houses on a field that flooded. The council then had to spend millions on a flood storage scheme...

I personally think the answer is storing the flood water in dams and more forestry on upstream catchments.