Dieing trades

eggsarascal

I was reading else where about old trades which got me thinking about trades that I don't seem to see any more.

Blacksmith, not seen a proper one in years, we've got plenty of Farriers around these parts, I assume that's because we've got a lot of horse racing stables in and around Newmarket.

I did a job at a local house a few weeks ago and in the old boys workshop there were mirrors all along the back wall of where is work benches were I asked him what they were for. He told me he used to employ 3 full time blokes repairing T.V's, they could tune the telly from the back whilst watching the picture in the mirrors. this doesn't seem to happen anymore.

thats just a couple to start with, what other trades are we loosing or are lost forever?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Policemen investigating thefts.

Policemen doing anything - unfortunately have noticed them less & less when in UK

Eel fishing with those wicker basket traps, not sure what they are called, probably finished altogether now.

Politicians with honest intent.

Foundry trades are next to nothing now compared with what they used to be. There used to be 25+ foundries with in a 20 radius of here, not one remains. Caernarfon.

Dont think they ever existed!

N

Policemen doing anything - unfortunately have noticed them less & less when in UK

Eel fishing with those wicker basket traps, not sure what they are called, probably finished altogether now.

Dont think they ever existed!

N

I met a bloke a few years ago at a show who told me that, as fars as he knew he was the only person left in the country that still made a living by catching Eel in those wicker traps. He was from Cambridge and his folk had been catching Eels for over 500 years on the Fens........ I'll be damned if I can remember his name though.

I met a bloke a few years ago at a show who told me that, as fars as he knew he was the only person left in the country that still made a living by catching Eel in those wicker traps. He was from Cambridge and his folk had been catching Eels for over 500 years on the Fens........ I'll be damned if I can remember his name though.

Interesting story Eggs,

I thought they fished the river severn near the esturay at certain times of the year but probably all finished now.

N