Archbishop of Canterbury doubts the presence of God!

the village idiot

So now we are to be grateful for the christian atrocities, as without them the muslim atrocities we would have suffered would have been much worse.

Yes, in much the same way that your Christian upbringing and subsequent rejection of it has made you impervious to conversion to Islam and any other religion. You still retain a Christian ethos wether you like it or not.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, in much the same way that your Christian upbringing and subsequent rejection of it has made you impervious to conversion to Islam and any other religion. You still retain a Christian ethos wether you like it or not.

Do you mean the same christian ethos that our great grandparents were raised with? The same christian great grandparents who tore Europe apart a couple of times, narrowly missed killing all life on earth in the cold war, enslaved countless millions of negros, murdered the jews, invented apartheid the black-and-tan and the kkk, 'civilised' india, gave whiskey and smallpox to the red man, denied half the population of the christian world the right to vote, work and make their own reproductive choices (that's women, by the way).

Do you mean that ethos?

Do you mean the same christian ethos that our great grandparents were raised with? The same christian great grandparents who tore Europe apart a couple of times, narrowly missed killing all life on earth in the cold war, enslaved countless millions of negros, murdered the jews, invented apartheid the black-and-tan and the kkk, 'civilised' india, gave whiskey and smallpox to the red man, denied half the population of the christian world the right to vote, work and make their own reproductive choices (that's women, by the way).

Do you mean that ethos?

Interesting little list there, I take it you would include IRA atrocities as well?

This thread is brilliant!!!!!!!:lol:

So now we are to be grateful for the christian atrocities, as without them the muslim atrocities we would have suffered would have been much worse :001_huh:

All religion is about money and power, its a way of milking the weak and poor, IMO.

Huck. Sadly a lot of people are guilty of hiding behind religion and abusing people so I can partly agree with you on this.

But JESUS never did and in fact he acted and taught the opposite so when people commit atrocities in his name they shouldn't be called CHRIST-ians because the term is incorrect.

All religion is about money and power, its a way of milking the weak and poor, IMO.

As is life in general, is capitalism any different? If religion had never existed we'd have fought and hated just the same! Greed and power... It's humanity I'm afraid.

As is life in general, is capitalism any different? If religion had never existed we'd have fought and hated just the same! Greed and power... It's humanity I'm afraid.

Maybe that should be "human nature" and not " humanity", but you know what I mean eh.

In relation to the OP, the Archbishop wrote a short blog to clarify what he meant in the media articles.

Blog: Why arguing with God is not the same as not believing in…

Personally I think it's healthy that he doubts sometimes and argues with God. Many people recently have pointed out that 'blind faith' is dangerous, as it causes people to act without thinking or questioning.

In relation to the OP, the Archbishop wrote a short blog to clarify what he meant in the media articles.

Personally I think it's healthy that he doubts sometimes and argues with God. Many people recently have pointed out that 'blind faith' is dangerous, as it causes people to act without thinking or questioning.

Yea, tryin to backtrack methinks...

Truth is, anyone as intelligent as him, not to mention as educated knows they're only fooling themselves when it comes talking about their beliefs..

The other day, the curtain slipped a little..

I guarantee, that if you asked him what he really believed, and you promised not let the cat out the bag if he told you, he'd say his beliefs are a parable..

That is to say, the Jesus story is meant be read as nothing more than a parable..

No doubt if he said that, he'd be crucified by the media..

Thanks Paul.

I doubt whether anyone on the forum really thought that the Archbishop was a closet non believer. He just presented too good an opportunity to miss!

The thing I can't get my head around is why when these doubts surface in the minds of the faithful they don't seem to stick. I can understand that rejecting a belief that has been held for so long and has shaped your life would be a hugely daunting prospect. But from where I sit, any amount of rational and honest thought on the existence of God and therefore the validity of his teachings can only result in one outcome.

As for 'arguing with God'. Debating the existence of a supernatural being is strange in itself, debating it with said supernatural being surely borders on insanity? There is no valid evidence to support the fact that arguing with God is in any way different to debating with Scooby Doo. Anyone doing the former is respected as a wise and well adjusted individual. Anyone engaged in the latter would be promptly booked an extended stay in the nearest lunatic asylum.

People of faith need to start rationalising their beliefs. Bringing up children to believe and live their lives according to an idea that has never in 2000 years produced any supporting evidence is wrong and damaging.