Customers who drag payment out

simonm

Surely, by not accepting CC he is already excepting it??

I believe I was referring to a method of payment instead of waiting for a check in the mail or some sort of other excuse not to pay when presented with an invoice. The OP may be granting credit in lieu of not being paid on time, I suspect he has better things to do with his money.

easy-lift guy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe I was referring to a method of payment instead of waiting for a check in the mail or some sort of other excuse not to pay when presented with an invoice. The OP may be granting credit in lieu of not being paid on time, I suspect he has better things to do with his money.

easy-lift guy

Think tree is having a wee go at your spelling elg, accept except, just fun I'd think!

Like Mark says.. We let them know at the quote stage what the terms are, payment In cash, cheque or bacs to the team leader at the end of the job. The vast majority pay up on the spot with no problem. I'm surprised how many offer to pay before we've even done the work....

Other than a wrong word is there any really useful information or advise other than suggesting someone giving up smoking can you contribute to this thread by the OP?

easy-lift guy

There is little to add, indeed there was little to say in the first instance.

Simon is an experienced contractor and a personal friend. I have climbed for him on many occasions. He needs little in the way of help, outside of somewhere to have a rant or a chunner now and again.

For the benefit of those in other lands, in the UK, most "slow payers" are commercial clients, as the little fish in the pond, third party payment terms are just something we have to put up with, its a known quantity and many often factor it into the job. In the case of domestic clients we usually get paid on completion, its just the odd one that will try it on and boil your piss. They wouldn't expect to get their groceries on credit, yesterday the guy that fixed my heating got paid the moment he was done. Its just the done thing here.

Taking CC payments costs money, both per transaction and for the card reader which all needs paying for. You would have to take the reader on each and every job and I don't give much for its survival chances, living among the spilled coffee, dust and detritus that is the average arb truck dash board.

In the UK BACS is often the default option for taking payments of this type, its not uncommon for a client to pay by BACS from a smart phone, sometimes while stood in the garden, looking at the gap where the tree used to be, no card or reader needed. For most of us small fry, BACS is free.

Oh and giving up smoking is probably the best advice anyone can ever get "but trust me on the sun screen":laugh1:

Nearly forgot, that wrong word changes the entire meaning of the sentence.

Edited by treequip

FYI with regards to card readers. Today's technology allows the CC to be read very simply and most CC processing companies provide a reader which plugs into a smart phone and ready for use at once, for free!. Being paid on the spot for either 2.5% with a signature or 2.75% without means I have my money in my account in less than 24 hours. Not days or weeks or even months. The price I am charged is also a deductible expense.

For residential accounts this should be the only way to collect payment unless you have cash or check in hand prior to or upon completion. I am often amazed at the number of people in business on both sides of the Atlantic who routinely allow customers to take advantage of their companies by paying slow or making excuses/lies for not paying on time.

I suppose that as long as the customer knows that they can get away with using and abusing service providers terms for payment they will continue ripping off the provider, as long as they can get away with it.

easy-lift guy

I always get asked how i want paying, cash cheque bank transfer is my answer, in future it will be cash or cheque on completion less hassle, as andy said the ability to take card payments would be good however the cost to operate such a machine, reliability and also the beating it will take means its not an option for me personally.

I always get asked how i want paying, cash cheque bank transfer is my answer, in future it will be cash or cheque on completion less hassle, as andy said the ability to take card payments would be good however the cost to operate such a machine, reliability and also the beating it will take means its not an option for me personally.

bacs is best, strait in yr account no waiting or queing in banks :thumbup1: