how to be safer at work in trees

Stephen Blair

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my limited experience i'd say positioning is the most important factor for safe working,take a few extra minutes to get in a position so your not over reaching or cutting with the saw in a position that can cause harm if something unforseen happens.

I guess we all do it more often than we should but i reckon most accidents happen when someone is reaching out in an awkward position or cutting above your head cos you cant be arsed to go up the next level.Touch wood ive not had an accident yet that caused injury but when ive had near misses its usually for that reason

Any mistakes I have made have usually come from rushing... You know when you're going a bit too fast, you're tired and you want to finish the job and get down out of the tree.

Correct work positioning I think is really important so that if something does happen you're out the way.

You may cut yourself more with a silky but at least it's usually superficial. With a chainsaw you're going to get damaged!

:thumbup1:

Like most of you i feel that many accidents are caused by rushing and in smoe cases poor work positioning , i like most try to get the job done as quickly as possible however i am now begining to buy equipment that will aid me in getting the best work position that i can and limmt the ammount of fatigue . Also in some cases i feel that more planning of your climb and in some cases taking advice from others really can help too !!

Cut throat pricing will be one of the major factors in the reasons why people end up getting injured.

Rushing jobs to get it done in one day rather than one and a half for example.

I try to price jobs now so it is more of a relaxed affair, we shouldn't have to bust our guts to get the job done.

All the injuries I've had can be put down to rushing, full stop :thumbdown:

Indeed

K

PS -If you end up working with Muppets, that's very dangerous too

A Safety mindset.A progressive mindset.

Realistic Expectations/Job Assessment.

Hazard IDs and Controls including Controls on newly arising Hazards.

Equipment checks and servicing/replacement.

Safe Work Practices.

Training and reTraining. Practicing Rescue Training/Being in a state of readiness.

PPE.

Working within capabilities and Equipment ratings.

First Aid Kits.Replenishment.

Health and Fitness.

Participation and looking out for one another and new hazards.

Then,GO HARD and All GO HOME.

Sorry to write it like an informal list guys,sometimes I feel like Im still at work.Be safe.

Edited by coolie