How much to fit a flu liner

Will Heal

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On top of all this regulation to do with fitting ... to keep your insurance valid I believe you must have proof of the flue being swept at appropriate intervals by a qualified chimney sweep ....all this adds up to a rather costly form of heating , if you buy in logs and comply with every regulation .... Yet anyone ( qualified or not ) can repair the brakes, steering etc on their own car ,truck , motorcycle , bicycle etc ..funny old world isn't it ? ! ..

Edited by devon TWiG

Anyone can get the basic certificate, it was an open book exam and multi choice answers when I did it. Pretty sure it still is.

I have also seem some highly illegal and downright dangerous installs carried out by 'qualified' installers. Found an oak beam this week within 8 inches of a flue pipe on the inside, beam caught fire !!. Min clearance is 15" unless fireboarded.

A

Wow that beam was way to close :confused1: Trouble is jo public will always

struggle to weed out the non performers from the true decent professionals .

316 twin wall flue is perfectly fine and now comes with a lifetime guarantee from some places. The difference is quality of stainless steel, nothing else. My father had a 316 in for 18 years before it rotted through. He has an 18kw back boiler stove burning smokeless coal aswell as wood and any general rubbish he has. All his wood is self sourced generally unseasoned and usually conifer or some old bits of fencing, skirting etc. He doesn't have any other form of heating in the house so it's on 24hrs a day in the winter.

A register plate is for open chimneys in order to create a seal so the chimney has sufficient draw.

A closure board on a flued chimney will stop the heat going up and the crap coming down. Hardiebacker board is perfectly suitable from B&Q or Tilesrus for this purpose and is a concrete based waterproof board that is quite easy to cut.

All of these questions are answered in the Stove Fitters Manual online.

My building regs sign off cost nothing as he was already in inspecting for an extension.

316 twin wall flue is perfectly fine and now comes with a lifetime guarantee from some places. The difference is quality of stainless steel, nothing else. My father had a 316 in for 18 years before it rotted through. He has an 18kw back boiler stove burning smokeless coal aswell as wood and any general rubbish he has. All his wood is self sourced generally unseasoned and usually conifer or some old bits of fencing, skirting etc. He doesn't have any other form of heating in the house so it's on 24hrs a day in the winter.

A register plate is for open chimneys in order to create a seal so the chimney has sufficient draw.

A closure board on a flued chimney will stop the heat going up and the crap coming down. Hardiebacker board is perfectly suitable from B&Q or Tilesrus for this purpose and is a concrete based waterproof board that is quite easy to cut.

All of these questions are answered in the Stove Fitters Manual online.

My building regs sign off cost nothing as he was already in inspecting for an extension.

316 is fine for wood and smokeless coal ( Anthracite), its man made smokeless fuels that create the problems.

Building regs sign off do vary vastly in cost, you can of course also use an independent building inspector rather than council ones.

A

As far as I understand if you have a boiler stove or are in the habit of slumbering your wood burner it is far better to use 904. It is more corrosion resistant than 316 so will have a much longer life especially under unfavourable conditions. When you consider the difference in cost between 316 and 904 as a percentage of the total then the longer life easily covers the difference.

As far as I understand if you have a boiler stove or are in the habit of slumbering your wood burner it is far better to use 904. It is more corrosion resistant than 316 so will have a much longer life especially under unfavourable conditions. When you consider the difference in cost between 316 and 904 as a percentage of the total then the longer life easily covers the difference.

I'm glad someone agrees Ian.

The other point is unless the BCO is coming to look at other work the £250 quoted is the same order as the cost of a 2 storey plus roof flue liner.

Strikes me it's worth finding a HETAS installer who will let one do the donkey work of feeding the liner down and letting them make the union twixt liner and stove.

Since moving back to South Wales and sending CV's out at the same rate of receiving spam emails, I have in the meantime picked a job up to tick over. Just me, 009 and a hired chipper, and stump grinding to follow on Tuesday.

2 day job - first day removed all coni branches off all conis (48) and then removed stem, chipped all trees into tree line moving chipper after every chipped tree spreading the chip, logs moved and stacked, ready to stump grind. Second day - stump grinding 48 stumps on Tuesday :001_smile:

image.jpg.28bf831176819fbe93b39e10b85c4ccf.jpg

I'm glad someone agrees Ian.

The other point is unless the BCO is coming to look at other work the £250 quoted is the same order as the cost of a 2 storey plus roof flue liner.

Strikes me it's worth finding a HETAS installer who will let one do the donkey work of feeding the liner down and letting them make the union twixt liner and stove.

Building control by me are £129. Stove install into ready made fireplace varies from £750-£900 using 316 twin wall or £900-£1200 using 904 by me in the West Midlands.

£250 for flue and bits (904) + £130 to certify it.

£380 v min £750 (316) to £900 (904)

I agree, I earn £400-£600 a day after tax all the time so I'll just pay a Hetas fitter to spend 4hrs doing it while I'm out earning that £400-£600 a day to pay him. :thumbup: