Burning dry firewood but with high resin content?

Lucan

Can you find a link to that? Thanks

Not at present, it's one of the many useless snippets that have entered my brain over the years and then randomly reappeared. Will keep trying to remember, it was an FC report on wood buying and burning I think.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know for a fact that its 16-18% or is that just what your meter is telling you?

What the meter and experience tells me, I'm not going to start weighing and oven drying logs.

14 months to dry sub 4" diameter larch billets in a barn with open sides is more than enough. I have a load of larch in the stack next which I felled and split this Jan/Feb which burns as hot and clean as you would expect, pale wood, bark falling off, etc.

Thanks for the replies, have a load of sitka which I'll mix in to keep the temp up without having to have the air vents fully open and see if that works

Well I'm burning larch that was processed in March/April. It's not sub 20%, it burns beautifully and I have no chimney issues! No sooting anywhere really - it's just a case of keeping the fire at the right temperature. Stove thermometer Stove thermometer Stove thermometer.

What the meter and experience tells me, I'm not going to start weighing and oven drying logs.

14 months to dry sub 4" diameter larch billets in a barn with open sides is more than enough. I have a load of larch in the stack next which I felled and split this Jan/Feb which burns as hot and clean as you would expect, pale wood, bark falling off, etc.

Thanks for the replies, have a load of sitka which I'll mix in to keep the temp up without having to have the air vents fully open and see if that works

I'm not suggesting you do not use your meter just check its calibration. Most meters I've come across are not accurate. We have burnt a lot of larch at 25% and it burns well.

When we are turning Larch into billets sometimes you can find a puddle of resin underneath the cut length stood up prior to splitting.I will then split it to open up where the resin is.Then cut that billet with a circular saw into logs.Put the logs up on one of the rooves with the resin facing the elements,maybe for a year.Then on a nice day put it in the back of our own log shed.When it comes to burning it, Big J has got the answer.

If you can mix it with some good, dry hardwood like Beech, Oak or Ash it works very well indeed.

We've been burning dry Sitka and Leylandi alongside dry hardwood in stoves for over 20 years and had no tarring problems at all. You also get the added bonus of a fantastic flame picture.

If you can mix it with some good, dry hardwood like Beech, Oak or Ash it works very well indeed.

We've been burning dry Sitka and Leylandi alongside dry hardwood in stoves for over 20 years and had no tarring problems at all. You also get the added bonus of a fantastic flame picture.

Softwood needs to ideally be sub 20%, as with the best will in the world we don't always run the fire / woodburner at full tilt :001_smile: