Clearview 500 stove

richardwale

My pals been told this is is the best stove for his requiremnets. Room is approx 25 x 12 ft stove is max 8kw output. What's the efficiency compared to a Burley or a Charnwood? He's been quoted £1300 plus vat.... My view is its all about efficiency, not so much the looks?.

just done a deal for one £500 and 8 bags of logs and he threw in an airmax fan. stove fitter also happy to be paid in logs so much easier than the plumber wanting £3.5k to fit the backboiler stove.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

I'm Richard's pal (from the original thread). I decided to go ahead and buy a Clearview Vision 500 log burner. I have to say how delighted (and relieved) I am with that decision.

It's quick and easy to light, very simple to control accurately and thoroughly heats the room / downstairs of our home. I believe with the addition of a stove-top fan this could be extended.

We've had the stove for one month now and following the recent gas meter reading have seen a huge reduction in the DD to British Gas - admittedly during the warmest Dec on record.

I've never owned a log burner before so my recommendation probably doesn't carry much weight but I offer it nonetheless.

Dont get hung up about efficiency, there are several different ways of measuring it. Some use logs with a zero percent moisture level, of course that gives a higher reading as no energy is lost evaporating remaining water. Efficiency figures can be misleading as can nominal output figures.

All stoves have to have an efficiency of 65% in order to gain the legally required CE marking. Clearview are not bad stoves but look at all the glossy house mags, full or half page Clearview adds in every one, who is paying for that, you the end customer is.

Morso make the best stoves in the world in my opinion, where else could you buy parts for a 40 year old stove off the shelf. Look after your Morso at thats the sort of life you will get out of it. A 5kw traditional stove then Badger 3112 at around £1050 or 04 at a similar price ( prices rose 1 Jan so unsure of new prices). Traditional looking but very advanced under the surface.

A

dont get hung up about efficiency, there are several different ways of measuring it. Some use logs with a zero percent moisture level, of course that gives a higher reading as no energy is lost evaporating remaining water. Efficiency figures can be misleading as can nominal output figures.

All stoves have to have an efficiency of 65% in order to gain the legally required ce marking. Clearview are not bad stoves but look at all the glossy house mags, full or half page clearview adds in every one, who is paying for that, you the end customer is.

Morso make the best stoves in the world in my opinion, where else could you buy parts for a 40 year old stove off the shelf. Look after your morso at thats the sort of life you will get out of it. A 5kw traditional stove then badger 3112 at around £1050 or 04 at a similar price ( prices rose 1 jan so unsure of new prices). Traditional looking but very advanced under the surface.

A

hi mate your in box full of stoves jon

Morso make the best stoves in the world in my opinion, where else could you buy parts for a 40 year old stove off the shelf. Look after your Morso at thats the sort of life you will get out of it. A 5kw traditional stove then Badger 3112 at around £1050 or 04 at a similar price ( prices rose 1 Jan so unsure of new prices). Traditional looking but very advanced under the surface.

A

Couldn't agree more. Ripping out current woodburner in new house and putting in another Morso, without doubt the best woodburner i have ever owned.

Is this website any good...???

The Stove Fitter's Manual | How to fit a wood burning stove

Shame, as he doesn't list the Clear views....

Most good stove shops will offer good advice on choosing, fitting and using stoves.

We are very lucky up here in north Argyll that we have a great source of information from Backwoodsman Stoves, Barcaldine, Oban, Argyll

They not only sell very good stuff, but are happy to tell you where to get other brands they don't stock and give good advice on them too

Local places like them are goldmines.