old school

stihlmadasever

You're an older climber, aren't you Mick? Do you not have any niggles after a career body thrusting?

For me the main benefits of an "advanced" system are one handed slack tending and the ability to easily make mid air ascents away from the stem.

I’ve been climbing trees since I was four years old. About 20 years ago I was introduced to an activity called technical tree climbing – the use of a rope and saddle to explore the canopy – which led to my becoming an instructor and tree climbing mentor to hundreds of people around the world.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve been climbing trees since I was four years old. About 20 years ago I was introduced to an activity called technical tree climbing – the use of a rope and saddle to explore the canopy – which led to my becoming an instructor and tree climbing mentor to hundreds of people around the world.

Thanks for sharing... Not sure why you quoted me though.

I'll take what you say on board but why complicate it? Maybe if I was swishing round big planes all day tipping ends out I'd think differently.

I'm nearly all take downs, conifer up/downs or repollarding.

Always in spikes.

Plus that bloody thin rope is always tangling up.

Same here Mick. I can't see the benefits when you spend most the day in spikes.

Changed from a Blakes hitch to a SJ a few years ago and everything just got easier, especially as most of my stuff is spike work anyway so the self tending action of the SJ is good. Had a couple of cracks at SRT access but couldn't get he hang of it. Added a petzl hand ascender to the set up and all of a sudden it felt a whole lot more natural, don't ask me why. Completed my first work climb on SRT and keen to pursue this. Like some on here; I'm an older climber and my body is falling apart. Shoulders, hamstrings, wrists etc. if it makes my life easier I'm going to run with it.

It does not seem that long ago that footlocking was the" new way" does anyone still regularly do this ?.... Also to those of you who employ people have you switched your climbers over to srt because you believe it is better and more efficient and cost effective ? I have not tried it myself or seen anyone in action using it ( would like to ) as yet I am not convinced it is worth the cost of the new kit , ( very happy and proficient with ddrt ) and can srt be used for all jobs .. hedge topping , line clearance work etc

It took a while and bit of experimentation for me to get the HC right, it wasn't until I started using the 'knut' instead of VT with the pulley that I cracked it. I found that there's less sit-back with the knut as opposed to the VT, which made branch-walking and working on limbs out-stretched much easier. The type and thinkness of friction cord in relation to rope thickness made a difference too; I found on 13mm rope 10mm Yale Silverstreak worked well. Also make sure that the legs of the cord aren't too long or too short as that affected the 'bite'. All that being said I've now gone to the Zig-zag on 11.7mm Bluetounge and its absolutely belting, done a fair few largish, tricky, slimy poplars over the past few weeks and its been a godsend. Really noticing the energy-saving especially when ascending using a pantin in the open air.

Oh I just love the simplicity, dependability and reliability of the prussiks. I've used my hitch climber set-up and see no really efficiency in pulling yourself up the tree with your arms verses thrusting yourself with a well tones core with the help of your arms. Although I did notice the right side of my body was becoming deformed, which is why i changed. I took ages to find the right cord, cord length, and knot to rely on and eventually when I found it it worked. But it was still bloody hard work pulling myself up the tree.

I can fully understand the logic of these new mechanical devices but don't be fooled these companies all have very slick marketing departments.

SSS Simple Safe Secure.....my new brand of Prussik LOL

Use a cambium saver or pulley up top. That kind of system is wasted on natural crotch climbing.

i was on a cambium saver! using i think about an 85cm (eye to eye) ocean polyester 10mm on a 13mm yale,

i'll def keep messing on with it but found its hard to justify pissing about with stuff on a job!

will try the knut- thanks