Follow up on ETCC snap ban

Mark B.

On a training course today I heard a story that kind of follows up the ETCC technical committee's decision to ban snaps nicely .

This guy has a billy goat on his farm that is quite destructive when on rampage, so it's spent the summer tied to a tree. Yesterday it managed to free itself from the tether an ran amuck and obliterated the garden... maybe it was irked at having been attached all summer long?

The owner comes home, sees the damage and, on a spur of the moment decision, takes the billy goat straight to the butcher... guess he'd really had enough. Oh dear.

The billy goat, you may be interested to hear, was attached to the tree with a Via Ferrata type snap hook.

Two lessons in this story:

1. Even billy goats can open snap hooks.

2. If you use snap hooks they can get you into really sticky situations (see billy goat)

65870702.IGSs4h3G.BillyGoatGruffMed.jpg.210cea6c64f9fd79922a04e558c5cedb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if I have to compare my intelligence or for that matter tree climbing expertise to that of a goat then I F******* give up!!!!!!

Many a man/woman climbed on a screwgate and never killed themselves, maybe if we carried a portable oxy/acetylene kit we could weld them shut at all times.

:thumbup1:

I thought the whole idea of snap hooks is that they are easy to open one handed?!

I've been using the ISC snap hook and found it to be excellent. Fast quick secure.

When you say they have been 'banned' is this all snap hooks? Or just the one the goat ate! :drool:

:blink: