Gm220 blocks up with leylandii.

Mick Dempsey

Ok so I'm on this job, lots of trees to come out, having fun in the sun.

Then we get to a line of overgrown connys, now, up to this point the 220 has been monstrous, devouring everything, acacia, elm, willow, then we run some leylandii through it and it clogs up the chute in a matter of a minute. We had to dismantle it 7 or 8 times before we gave up and came home to collect the TW for tomorrow.

It's a mystery because we've done this stuff before with no problems.

Things it's not: Blades, they were sharp and I even put some brand new ones in on site but it blocked in a matter of 20 seconds.

Things it may be: Shear bar is fairly worn but could that really explain this absolute failure to do its job?

I remember last century I used to hire GMs and they seemed to block a lot on conny, which soured my view of them for a long time.

The material is not stringy, it's properly diced by the blades.

Any ideas appreciated.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I'm on this job, lots of trees to come out, having fun in the sun.

Then we get to a line of overgrown connys, now, up to this point the 220 has been monstrous, devouring everything, acacia, elm, willow, then we run some leylandii through it and it clogs up the chute in a matter of a minute. We had to dismantle it 7 or 8 times before we gave up and came home to collect the TW for tomorrow.

It's a mystery because we've done this stuff before with no problems.

Things it's not: Blades, they were sharp and I even put some brand new ones in on site but it blocked in a matter of 20 seconds.

Things it may be: Shear bar is fairly worn but could that really explain this absolute failure to do its job?

I remember last century I used to hire GMs and they seemed to block a lot on conny, which soured my view of them for a long time.

The material is not stringy, it's properly diced by the blades.

Any ideas appreciated.

No. Mysterious :confused1:

I had a similar issue on a hire machine. I simply slowed the feed rollers slightly to reduce the the amount of chip, and it seemed to do the trick.

its also worth noting that if the inside of the spout is sticky from sap, this can cause stuff to stick to it and you get a build up, especially conifer!!

I had a similar issue on a hire machine. I simply slowed the feed rollers slightly to reduce the the amount of chip, and it seemed to do the trick.

its also worth noting that if the inside of the spout is sticky from sap, this can cause stuff to stick to it and you get a build up, especially conifer!!

This . :001_smile:

We slowed the rollers, no change (although it was not a fair test, I was losing the will to live by then as I watched the profit from the job take wing and fly away) it was strange, we're not talking about staggering amounts, after 3 or 4 20 ft limbs with some greenery on the end and that was it.

The groundy did talk about the sap on the inside of the spout and I discounted it.

I mean I've chipped conny with the TW for over 10 years, the only thing that's blocked that has been whippy wet birch.

But I guess if it's not the obvious it has to be something daft like that.

I will add it was bone dry here, I know rain added to the mix can be unhelpful.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

ours always blocked on conny from time to time but got a lot worse with age, so i suspect it could be the shear bar thing you mentioned as ours is very worn, very frustrating having to unblock it every 5min, the worst thing for it was wet fuschia clippings!! we just gave up a got a trailer and mounded it in.

we found you had to have a man just feeding it and watching the chute, worked better than walking off as it blocked.

hope you get it sorted, be good to know so we can sort ours, although we have a small tracked chipper now.

carl

p.s could be a stick wedged sideways in the chute!! had us puzzled for a while lol.

No I looked down the chute, clean as a whistle. I think, as we have the TW, we will get at the shear bar and turn/replace it. I might replace the rollers as well while the box is off.

It is.....disappointing if this is just "one of those things"

We just encountered the same thing on our 220 (mog pto driven) turned out it was a combination of things..

Blades needed turning...

Clutch on the mog was slightly slipping.

I don't know what sort of clutch/drive yours has but could it be that it is running slightly slower? This would cause it to clog.

Ummm, I don't think so, on everything else it's epic, brand new blades as well.

The belts aren't slipping, it has a system where you drop the engine to engage the flywheel.

Confident there's no issue there.

I think that the disc blade system needs the shear bar to be absolutely bang on to get this conifer through.

If its a very early 220 the gap between the flywheel paddles and the housing was wider than it should have been. Cured by welding flat plate on each paddle ( cut three pieces exactly the same so you don't knock the balance out) leaving clearance of 5-6mm. You can check the clearance by sticking a magnet on each paddle in turn and rotating the flywheel by hand.