Lunches while at work- How important to get it right?

Sharpy92

West Cork in ireland, and maybe other areas has a long standing tradition of providing a lunch for a contractor or labourer. All the more common and massive when working for farmers. The damn things look like Christmas dinners - almost all of my clients ( mobile milling) are farms. I've had to learn to intercept the wife/ mother /cook and protest my inability to eat large meals during the day. I'm always given the look of deep loathing having refused the food. Having attempted the ordeal a couple of times and been almost asleep on my feet and unable to bend to pick up the planks just a cup of tea will do for me. Also how can I price my hourly rate when I've been sat at their table eating their grub?

Always have a good breakfast, a good supply of crisps and sweets, then the main event when I get home.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't get my head round the big lunch thing; I used to and wondered why I was completely knackered all afternoon. I was convinced I needed it to give me the strength for the rest of the day. On the contrary, for me anyway, big bowl of salad, maybe with hard-boiled egg or lean meat/fish is perfect; no slumps when you get home in the evening either.

We eat far far more than we need to.

I have always gone for the big breakfast and really enjoy it, I could eat curry at 5am no bother any day. But a few months ago when I had more work than I could handle I started skipping lunch in favour of ploughing on and with my mantra of you "ain't sweating you ain't working!" that lack of fuel really shows, I started getting the shakes by three! I now enforce a stop for lunch and what do you know? I'm more productive!

You are all wrong. I have checked with aspenarbs chief nutritionist and he assures me that after extensive research into the contents of the yards dustbin the staple diet for arborists is as follows.

Costa coffee, Redbull, Mcdonalds, Coke (liquid during the week) , Lucozade, Walkers crisps, chicken nuggets, garage sandwiches,ice cream, Kentucky fried chicken , Burger king, fish and chips ,Twix, kitkat, bottled water and cigarettes .

Proof

image.jpg1_zpseddv5yup.jpg

I prefer this

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=186603&stc=1&d=1437682870

IMG_3121.jpg.0830e37a8935951fca18047cbcec8141.jpg

Can't get my head round the big lunch thing; I used to and wondered why I was completely knackered all afternoon. I was convinced I needed it to give me the strength for the rest of the day. On the contrary, for me anyway, big bowl of salad, maybe with hard-boiled egg or lean meat/fish is perfect; no slumps when you get home in the evening either.

We eat far far more than we need to.

I don't, I'm 5'8", 26, and 9.5 stone. I was 10 stone but viral gastroenteritis sorted that out!

You are all wrong. I have checked with aspenarbs chief nutritionist and he assures me that after extensive research into the contents of the yards dustbin the staple diet for arborists is as follows.

Costa coffee, Redbull, Mcdonalds, Coke (liquid during the week) , Lucozade, Walkers crisps, chicken nuggets, garage sandwiches,ice cream, Kentucky fried chicken , Burger king, fish and chips ,Twix, kitkat, bottled water and cigarettes .

Proof

image.jpg1_zpseddv5yup.jpg

I prefer this

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=186603&stc=1&d=1437682870

Ha ha, at least they clean the van out, mine would also have numerous painkiller blister packs, for my bad back, nothing at all to do with hangovers:blushing:

Today, a starter of mozzzzerela and tomatoes, main, large chicken and duck gizzard salad followed by a mooooose au chocolate washed down with a carafe of lemonade.. All for €11.

Well balanced, well fueled, no stodge weighing me down making me sleepy either.

Ty

Today, a starter of mozzzzerela and tomatoes, main, large chicken and duck gizzard salad followed by a mooooose au chocolate washed down with a carafe of lemonade.. All for €11.

Well balanced, well fueled, no stodge weighing me down making me sleepy either.

Ty

Yeah, well I had coffee from a flask. 3 Sainsbury's large cookies, 2 pork and sweet onion sausage rolls, and a packet of garlic and herb chicken.

Breakfast was 2 cups of filter coffee and two roll ups. Proper French style.

'Ave that!

When I use to work in "lunnun" on the way up a lot of guys who hadn't eaten breakfast would insist on stopping at burger vans, I couldn't bear the hygiene aspect and could just about manage a polystyrene cup of tea. Then their digestive system kicked in and they'd need a dump.........time for a Mcshit.

I Don't miss that.