Chainsaw Bars & Chains?

Clark Forest

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Folks - this is the current system (which I'm working on improving) - what's wrong with it in your opinions?

Here's an example for Husqvarna saws:

Chainsaw Bars & Chains for Husqvarna Chainsaws

And another one for Stihl saws:

Now, neither of these are working very well - they need improved (lots!) and made simpler to use. What don't you like about them? What DO you like about them? What's wrong/right etc?

Could you order the correct bar & chain for your saw (assuming it's listed!) from this? What's stopping you if not?

Thanks again in advance for all your input - I am taking it all on board, I promise!

Free baseball cap or wooly hat to anyone replies that want's one (PM me your address & I'll post it out to you!).

Cheers & thanks

James

Edited by Steve Bullman

1. The link for stihl above brings up husky stuff.

2. A search for Stihl MS460 brings up 15, 18 & 20" bars. The stihl catalogue I believe states you can run a 25" bar so this I think would need listing. Is it also possible to list the 30" bar for this saw stating it will fit but isn't recommended? I have one that I use only once or twice a year so it doesn't justify a bigger saw for such occasional use.

3. More info in the chain selection to show e.g. 72 links is a 20" chain.

4. RRP and your price - we all like a bargain and to be told how much of a bargain it is

There might be more but the pub is calling.

Kev

Ok Folks - this is the current system (which I'm working on improving) - what's wrong with it in your opinions?

Here's an example for Husqvarna saws:

And another one for Stihl saws:

Now, neither of these are working very well - they need improved (lots!) and made simpler to use. What don't you like about them? What DO you like about them? What's wrong/right etc?

Could you order the correct bar & chain for your saw (assuming it's listed!) from this? What's stopping you if not?

Thanks again in advance for all your input - I am taking it all on board, I promise!

Free baseball cap or wooly hat to anyone replies that want's one (PM me your address & I'll post it out to you!).

Cheers & thanks

James

I just sell ripping chains off my site.. but my advice would be the following.

For the bars the oregon numbers etc mean nothing to most people.

For bars I would start off with a drop down menu with all chainsaws on i.e. Husky, Stihl, etc. People select their saw. Then new page/new drop down where people pick their model of saw. Then new page/drop down where people pick the length of bar they want. Then final page/drop down where people see the bars you supply of that length that fit their saw (with the prices next to them).

For chains I think you need 2 methods of ordering. One method where people know the details of chain they want i.e. pitch, guage and number of drive links. Having a loop of 72LP oregon means nowt to most (I include myself and I sell chains albeit the ripping variety), I would have 72LP - 3/8 pitch .058 (if that's what it is).

The second method should be based on the bar selector method i.e. select saw, select model, select bar length, then final menu gives types of chain and prices.

On my website I think it quite easy to buy chains with a drop down menu of how many drive links you want but only if they know the chain for their saw - when I over haul my site I'm going to try and make it easier for people with a system as above. Everyone knows what make, what model and what bar length they have. They tell us this and we as the supplier can then tell them the chain!

Simples! I think not and it means having a full and comprehensive database... but it'll sell stuff easier and it means you're not on the phone going through catelogues to tell people what chain they need. Your website will do it for them.

All easier said than done mind you!

:thumbup:

Just tried a search for my Husqvarna 362 XP No bars /chains listed. Want to know longest bar I can use? Have PM for a hat. Let me know prices etc

Regards, John:biggrin:

Blair is just checking this now and he'll come back to you ASAP - hat going into the post tonight, thanks!