No certificate no chainsaw

Forest2Furniture

Assuming we've agreed that we won't be using the Stasi approach to chainsaw ownership, perhaps a more useful question would be what could be done to increase the chance that Joe Public might become qualified. Currently his only option is to sign up to an overpriced course PLUS assessment which is so highly priced that no-one who isn't earning money from it will ever cough up. If I want to get a driving licence I don't have to attend an approved course, I can get a family member or friend to train me or just turn up for the test without training - why can't we have more flexibility on chainsaw certification. I'm sure that there'll be a lot of chundering about how unsafe that would be but most apprentices get their training on the job and then attend the course so what's to stop people traing themselves then getting certified? It might even be an aditional source of income for arborists - I see on another thread that self employed climbers are getting around £150 a day and I'm sure for a lot of people that 1 day of a decent climbers time and equipment would be a better bet than several days group training in course environment - not everybody learns the same way. Anyway rant over ....sry :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given how dangerous chainsaws are, do you think the time has come to make purchasing a chainsaw the same as that of guns and how difficult would it be to enforce?

With many firearms you may need a licence but you don't need any training or prove you're competent by law.

Local police forces often impose extra requirements on licence holder and they can differ from one authority to another. (Imagine being able to use a top hand saw in one county but not another?).

I also gather with something like handgun crime this has increased when many handguns were banned.

A different way at looking at the question but I wouldn't think plain licencing would help improve safety at all.

It's pointless and your Pissing against the wind.

Mr homeowner has a plethora of gadgets he can kill or maim himself with, a chainsaw is probably quite low on that list, ladders being nearest the top.

Mr hse has neither the time or resources to try and enforce such a law, hence why there is a huge gap in hse recommendations for professionals v homeowners.

It's pointless and your Pissing against the wind.

Mr homeowner has a plethora of gadgets he can kill or maim himself with, a chainsaw is probably quite low on that list, ladders being nearest the top.

Mr hse has neither the time or resources to try and enforce such a law, hence why there is a huge gap in hse recommendations for professionals v homeowners.

Good post :thumbup1:

The HSE have far more powers over those within business, they concentrate on those who operate commercially.

The HSE only has powers over business, they have no remit to deal with anything not workplace related

True although there are plenty of bodies who do look after the non pro and do enforce laws, ie seat belts, crash helmets etc.Although when it comes to diy, anything goes.:laugh1: