Loose cubic meters from artic of beech

Tomatin Firewood

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still reckon a lot of people don't do any conversion at all, people buying in artic loads of hardwood but selling at £40 a cube to me it's how big a loss are you making but they claim to make a very good profit. I just base everything on 1.5 to the ton and don't buy oak.

still reckon a lot of people don't do any conversion at all, people buying in artic loads of hardwood but selling at £40 a cube to me it's how big a loss are you making but they claim to make a very good profit. I just base everything on 1.5 to the ton and don't buy oak.

If most of the cord you buy is green i would agree that 1.5 as an average is right.

Try and leave the cord in the wood as long as pos. Anything thats cut by a harvester and had bark stripped would loose 10% of its weight in 3 months. Thats an extra 10% of cord hitting the deck in my yard.

It amazes me how many people don't ask for a weight ticket mind you i learned the hard way.

If most of the cord you buy is green i would agree that 1.5 as an average is right.

Try and leave the cord in the wood as long as pos. Anything thats cut by a harvester and had bark stripped would loose 10% of its weight in 3 months. Thats an extra 10% of cord hitting the deck in my yard.

It amazes me how many people don't ask for a weight ticket mind you i learned the hard way.

I was surprised how many liked to avoid issuing weight tickets and just how much twisty 3 inch stuff they could get into a load of beech :sneaky2:

That's good advice. - I'm still interested to hear peoples views on the weight difference between winter and summer felled timber.

That's good advice. - I'm still interested to hear peoples views on the weight difference between winter and summer felled timber.

I don't think there is a significant difference immediately on felling but cut lengths at stump or roadside could lose 2%+ a week and sour felled timber more in summer months. Bark stripped wood even more especially quick drying woods like syc and alder.

Weight loss at roadside because of transport delays, especially with conifer industrial wood cost me tens of thousands over the years.

I think most buyers of timber know what they are getting at a glance. A mixed bag of timber with curly bits with varying diameters can still be up around the 30 ton mark. Most driver know as soon as they pull away whats on there.

Bob

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=184127&stc=1&d=1434191033

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=184128&stc=1&d=1434191033

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=184129&stc=1&d=1434191033

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=184130&stc=1&d=1434191033

59766d52bc1b6_uglystumps005.jpg.d75f4a33394a2e0542aa8cf386155699.jpg

59766d52ba098_uglystumps009.jpg.2abe3819ba1901f23e30c7f15af41a59.jpg

59766d52b7f50_uglystumps008.jpg.c11f631faad2d8f22ceb39fec6aa8b76.jpg

59766d52b5aac_uglystumps007.jpg.5ac7e2d74db4d8b338ed8dcf0bb93b71.jpg

Edited by aspenarb