Eye protection

stewmo

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up with saw dust in my eye yesterday, sectioning down a beech, it was getting windy so dust flying everywhere...couldn't get it out on site, so went to Minor Injuries. That little piece of wood has scratched about a quarter of my cornea. Feeling ok today, but eye is sensitive.

I wear glasses so have never considered eye protection before, as it's more tricky than just putting on some wrap arounds. I have always avoided contact lenses because I figure it's going to be even worse is you get crap in your eye to go along with the lens.

But now I am wondering what others do - do people even wear eye protection at all - I've never really seen anyone using them, yet we all must get **** in our eyes all time. And particularly others who need glasses/lenses....what do you recommend....can you get prescription eye protection??

Cheers

:thumbup1:

For me 3 quarter tilt both lids, when the cutting gets heavy, full tilt left lid, 3 quarter right lid .... hope that helps. :thumbup1:

He was joshing you Stew, he's on about squinting.

Jesse had bionic eyes fitted after he crashed a space rocket in the '70's.

I use mesh Safe Eyes from Clarks, which are excellent, but should look at safety specs as well for fine dust on windy days.

You only get issued with one set of peepers, it's worth looking after them.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I had a close call with my right eye a year or so ago - didn't have my visor down! Ended up piercing my eye dead centre and had it glued up - out of action for month or so. if it hadn't been dead centre they would have stitched it - urgh! Anyways, I wear contacts and they reckon the lens helped slow down the offending piece of tree and saved my sight! The strangest part of it all being that the lens was undamaged!????!! I was famous in my local eye A&E dept for a while! Full recovery in the end thank god.

I've yet to find anything that keeps out all sawdust, the finer stuff always gets through somehow! I find wearing contacts actually helps with the discomfort as the dust doesn't get behind the lens and onto your eye. Its when I take them out at the end of the day that I realise my eyes are full of crap!

Staying upwind is the best advice!

Just for knocking about i wear the itex glasses,and when the chips are flying i slip on the clarks safe eyes.

I found that even with the husky visor down and itex on, bits of chip would still somehow get in my eyes, something that the specsavers eye test experts told me to avoid now.

And of course the safe-eyes dont mist up.

I bought the Husqey helmet system some time back. Noticed some particles making it past the mesh. Oregon Goggles and polycarbonate faceshild were great till the fogged up so only suitable for sporadic use.

My fix was to glue a second layer of mesh over the original mesh, using great dollops of contact adhesive around the edges of the faceplate then squeezing them together with a "welders vice-grip" (?) Done about a week so far, no sign of the glue failing. Visibillity none the worse and vastly better protection.

I find the problem with visors is stuff can also get underneath them - notice it a lot when strimming...Best just keep your eyes closed really....

He was joshing you Stew, he's on about squinting.

Jesse had bionic eyes fitted after he crashed a space rocket in the '70's.

I use mesh Safe Eyes from Clarks, which are excellent, but should look at safety specs as well for fine dust on windy days.

You only get issued with one set of peepers, it's worth looking after them.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hi Mark, had a great day today, went all out on health and safety, bought myself a set of tank commando glasses from the arb show, awsum specks , got vents interchangeable lenses, so no more squinting, :thumbup1: