Climbing in extreme cold

Sciadopitys

At the end of the season in Ak we might be climbing in -20c.I'd wear two pair of long johns,socksX2,couple of thermal tops,polar fleece over puffer jacket.

And a Helmet liner with neck flap and ear plugs.

I'd wear the snow boots on the ground but suffer wearing Wesco boots in the trees,

oh and somtimes wear a neoprene face mask if there was wind.

Wasn't much fun to be honest but like I said it was the end of the season

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Merinowool thermal underwear is the only way forward!

With silk long underwear underneath. Silk is very light and feels excellent next to the skin and one can still move fluidly. I refer natural (plant or animal) fibres best. They definitely stand up next to new synthetic materials. Just a matter of getting right combination. And womens tights do make a difference.

Light layers beat bulkiness everytime, in my opinion.Especially if one still ones to be able to bend & move!

Helly Hanson make excellent cold weather gear, as the gentleman (apparently) who started H.H. was a Norwegian (if I remember correctly) who worked outdoors, boats I think.

• 1 year later...

agree with the posts on 'Smelly-Helly's' - its good kit, its got to be pretty brass monkey to climb in it though. I like to balance keeping warm with a bit of temperature control - nothing worse than being cold, then overheating as soon as you access the crown.

I wear a 'headover' around my neck and 'wristovers' (these are just old wool socks with the feet cut off. They keep you warm and are easy to discard when either the sun gets up in the morning or you work a steam up in the tree!).

I always put my wooly hat inside my helmet when I swap them over for added insulation too.

I got a Berghaus Choktoi pro windstopper last winter and its serving me well, its got venting zips under the arms, which is great for climbing.

Before all this, I make sure I get a big bowl of porridge with banana and honey in it before I go out in the morning!:thumbup1:

Roll on summer!

Woolpower thermals come in weights from 200g - wool being self cleaning, keeps the smellies at bay. Their garments can be worn for days on end without making a whiff! Amazing! I've been wearing the same pair of Woolpower socks for a week and they are still sweet!!! (ish!). There's a bit more info on Woolpower (as worn by Ray Mears) here: Woolpower Thermal Garments Edited by Steve Bullman

A hat, or snod as ed recommended is a must. Have a couple of pairs of gloves you can rotate if its wet, drying 1 pair next to your torso whilst the other pair wets through. The layer next to your skin is the most important part of your clothes layering, you need to wear something that wicks the sweat away from your skin and keeps it away or the moisture sucks the heat out of you, something like Merino or Helly Hensen but not cotton. This applies from top to bottom. If you restrict circulation to your hands and feet then this doesn't help.

I'm heading to the cold soon. I've gone for boots (goretex) that are a size too big to fit 2 pairs of socks and a coolmax liner next to my skin. Merino base layers though Mike now has me thinking 2 pairs may be in order :) Lots of breathable fleeces along with a Gilet (bodywarmer) fleece as this doesn't restrict movement so much. Good breathable waterproofs which also act as a windproof layer when it starts blowing and a balaclava to be safe. I'll also have a down jacket that I can throw on if the job means hanging around in the tree getting cold.

Now I'm not suggesting that the above is a perfect set up but I've spent a lot of time in the hills in poor weather and this is what I reckon'll work for me in the cold. As for gloves, well I still can't decide!

Edited by Craig F-J

At the end of the season in Ak we might be climbing in -20c.I'd wear two pair of long johns,socksX2,couple of thermal tops,polar fleece over puffer jacket.

And a Helmet liner with neck flap and ear plugs.

I'd wear the snow boots on the ground but suffer wearing Wesco boots in the trees,

oh and somtimes wear a neoprene face mask if there was wind.

Wasn't much fun to be honest but like I said it was the end of the season

Big Man - what's the crack with gloves you can climb in?