So you want to be a freelance climber do you?

Adam Bourne

I think the area makes a big difference, I don't know of any full time subby climbers in scotland, there maybe one somewhere, but I have never come across one. I think you need to be in or near a massive urban conurbation like Manchester or london to make it work.

I think the area makes a big difference, I don't know of any full time subby climbers in scotland, there maybe one somewhere, but I have never come across one. I think you need to be in or near a massive urban conurbation like Manchester or london to make it work.

I'm not sure about that, a lack of work could possible be an advantage, lots of work leads to large firms with lots of employees, not much work could mean the flexibility a subbie offers being very attractive.

I think the main thing is being good, very good. You need to be able to make your clients money, not just get the job done, IMO.

A great post Adam. Agree with a lot of the replies.

Yes colleges are partly to blame for the false thoughts of being 5he rocks tar climber with a pick up and chicks draped all over it. A lot of people moan about them keeping prices down etc etc good luck too anyone trying there luck. I have been employed and it was easy going but I wanted more, my pants wages and low overheads made it easy for me to take the leap. It takes a lot of courage, stupidity on some people's part, to go self employed. If someone has not thought it through properly and put in the ground work they probably won't last very long. But for me it's panning out alright. #LivingTheDream.

And yes if your just a gun for hire ie a top handle and some ropes you are probably a little bit limited.

Edited by markieg31

no worked for a couple charged between £120 to £150 a day he just wanted me to take on anything he had coming in. just didn't turn out to be enough even with my own work and the odd job from other firms

i'll just ask the question even if it makes me look a bit stupid. what exactly is a freelance climber? what I did was work for a firm in a lead climber position but the guy had to book me in advance, I also worked for other firms mainly when they had to much work and not enough people, organized my own jobs as well. is there something im missing here?

i'll just ask the question even if it makes me look a bit stupid. what exactly is a freelance climber? what I did was work for a firm in a lead climber position but the guy had to book me in advance, I also worked for other firms mainly when they had to much work and not enough people, organized my own jobs as well. is there something im missing here?

A freelance climber is just that nothing more! Offers no other service, like other machinary, chippers and tippers, grinders ect. A freelance climber does a days climbing or what ever it maybe for a set amount under the authority of the company he's working for that specific day!

A sub contractor offers more but under his own authority and what other equipment he uses to get the job done for whom ever it is he's contracting to. Also covering someone else site/work with his own insurance and sometimes his own work force.

A freelance climber is just that nothing more! Offers no other service, like other machinary, chippers and tippers, grinders ect. A freelance climber does a days climbing or what ever it maybe for a set amount under the authority of the company he's working for that specific day!

A sub contractor offers more but under his own authority and what other equipment he uses to get the job done for whom ever it is he's contracting to. Also covering someone else site/work with his own insurance and sometimes his own work force.

But many (including myself :blushing:) often refer to freelancers as "subbies" when as you say they aren't really.