Would a PTO chipper realistically fit on a landy?

GTS

This would be great, but the Dodge Ram weighs a shade over 3ton empty without much fuel in it, so you wouldn't have the payload to mount a decent chipper on there with turntable, unless you had C1+E and ran the Dodge at its intended weight, but in this case that would defeat the object of the idea.

Even without the Buck, and no engine on the chipper? (The pto version of a tw150 only weighs 400kg's)

The Cummins 6bt as found in the ram will also fit in a defender, and a land cruiser. As used in quite a few 7.5t wagons its quite an easy one to get hold of too.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even without the Buck, and no engine on the chipper? (The pto version of a tw150 only weighs 400kg's)

The Cummins 6bt as found in the ram will also fit in a defender, and a land cruiser. As used in quite a few 7.5t wagons its quite an easy one to get hold of too.

Possibly, but you'd be string it a bit too close, considering the tank is 135L so filling that would put you over, specialty with a few saws etc on board too or any passengers. The 6BYS are becoming quite hard to get now as they're quite sought after.

What would be the point? You have a vehicle with a chipper mounted on it- all you can do is chip with it. Mot, insurance and registration for something you can only do one thing with.

At least with a tranny, landrover, MOG whatever you can still use it to cart stuff around.

If you were going to mount a chipper on something buy a MOG

What would be the point? You have a vehicle with a chipper mounted on it- all you can do is chip with it. Mot, insurance and registration for something you can only do one thing with.

You could say the same as a land rover with cherry pick on the back.

At least with a tranny, landrover, MOG whatever you can still use it to cart stuff around.

It can cart more in the trailer then it could in the back..

One of the downsides would be that both chipper and truck are out of action if one is broken... You could have a demountable chipper..

Our TW 250 needs some work on the trailer.. I thought about mounting it on an old tracked dumper to turn it into a tracked chipper, but this could work..:001_smile:

59766d2042f11_francenchipperLR.jpg.615a8f0b2a531b91a3e6220664807259.jpg

Why bother. It means your Landy can't be used for anything else and you can't run it on red Diesal. I've seen a couple and they never really work properly.

Because a transit/defender/pick up with a chipper on the tow bar can deal with about 1000kg of chip(leAgally), while towing a trailer that weighs a third of what it can tow. Put the chipper on the truck and spec a lightweight 3.5 ton trailer and you could deal with up to 2.75 ton of chip in one go?

It would have to be very well designed and laid out though.

Sorry i thought the OP was wanting to run the chipper off of the landrover engine.

Car/ truck engines are not designed the same as tractor/ plant style engines - as some chap explained to me in great length once.

But i can see the weight advantages of running the chipper on back of the truck. Means you could run a short truck rather than the super rig transit!

Sorry i thought the OP was wanting to run the chipper off of the landrover engine.

Car/ truck engines are not designed the same as tractor/ plant style engines - as some chap explained to me in great length once.

But i can see the weight advantages of running the chipper on back of the truck. Means you could run a short truck rather than the super rig transit!

What your mate was on about was the fixed speed control of a stationary engine vs a road engine. Landrover got round this by fitting an external unit made by Iso Speedic that was belt driven, the hand throttle went straight to the Iso unit and through internal governor weights the unit kept the engine at those rev irrespective of load. This effectively converted the Landy lump into a stationary engine. Notice the two arms on the unit , one from the hand throttle and the other goes to the pump. This one is running an underfloor welding unit. The same unit could be used to run a chipper no problem.

Bob

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=182611&stc=1&d=1432320878

73421d1364772113-lincoln-shield-arc-junior-welder-iso-speedic-governor.jpg.f6e02dc927438fafb4aa3aac3b7a3f04.jpg

Edited by aspenarb