Hi Vis Help

TTS North

Hi

Given some of the recent posts on the forum which I must admit have rattled me to the core, I'm getting myself and guys I use on to a single hi-vis clothing policy.

This is mainly so that we are consistent from a visibility point of view, not a mish-mash of oranges and yellows, and as visible as possible. The guys are responsible for their trousers, but we're looking at a set of long and short sleeved tops, and a heavier work jacket/top for everyone.

I'm staying away from the manufacturer designer stuff which has some hi-viz colour but often seems to be mostly trendy (but not very hi viz) black.

My attitude now is less about what matches the orange saws, but what screams out where people are - esp. on the ground. As much hi-viz as possible and I don't care if we don't look cool. We've got to be making it as easy as possible for us to see each other.

Much as the colour unsettles me, the bright yellow seems to be more hi-viz than the orange.

So

1. What do you is more visible - orange or day-glo yellow.

2. Slip on lightweight vests, or more dedicated material tops, fleeces etc

3. Where do you guys get your stuff from? Any good value recommendations?

I'll be buying the kit and it'll be a good couple of hundred quid min, but a well worthwhile investment.

Regards and be safe, TTS North

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Sorry, this doesn't really answer your question but is there an industry or perhaps insurance standard you need to meet based on BS EN 471? Again sorry a very dull topic but we had a similar conversation at work as we visit building sites.

Chris B

I work in construction. All our PPE is yellow as it is more visible.

To wear a high vis jacket in summer is torture - you sweat like a mad man. Best have a vest in the summer and jacket in the winter.

We have special Velcro high vis vests. They rip apart if they catch on something (ie branch going into chipper). It's the type of thing H&S guys love to see on a risk assessment.

If I was looking at a risk assessment I'd much prefer someone using a chainsaw had chainsaw trousers as opposed to high vis trousers.

TTS - Colour is optional unless you are working trackside on the railway (orange). On a highway it is the reflective strips that are important for low visibility at night. BS dictates the size and patterns of these.

I did a test once and found orange to be more recognisable in the distance and in variable cover situations and in several locations -yellow can blend in easily on a bright day believe it or not. Why not try this to get your crew buy in in the decision making process. If they do they will have mentally signed up to wearing it.

Personally there are a couple of factors I'd consider;

Ease of wearing and flexibility for outdoors (I think an over vest gives more comfort options underneath and is a heck of a lot cheaper to replace (which as an employer you will be required to do 'as is necessary')

Ease of purchase - probably yellow is more generally available -but depends where you are and anyway next day will do. There is no law to say you can't use a mixture.

Washing will reduce brightness and colouration - outlay and repurchase will need to be budgeted

If you use a different colour (there are more options)you can easily see your guys in a crowd! You can also do some brand advertising print on the back -saves getting them nicked as well!

Like any ppe it only has to be worn when it is part of the risk reduction strategy on your risk assessment It is not absolutely necessary to wear all the time. Sounds corny but it might actually emphasise its importance if a day briefing determined if it was necessary due to work pattern and where people were.

You may, of course be required to wear it by a contract obligation (construction sites etc)

Safety Steve

I know you want to keep away from the big names but have you had a look at the arborwear hi viz tshirts which come in long and short sleeve versions. They've been designed to be practical and hi-viz ie I think the areas which are likely to get the dirtiest (front) are either black or grey whilst the rest of the shirt is hi-viz.

Edited by penfold

Hi

Given some of the recent posts on the forum which I must admit have rattled me to the core, I'm getting myself and guys I use on to a single hi-vis clothing policy.

This is mainly so that we are consistent from a visibility point of view, not a mish-mash of oranges and yellows, and as visible as possible. The guys are responsible for their trousers, but we're looking at a set of long and short sleeved tops, and a heavier work jacket/top for everyone.

I'm staying away from the manufacturer designer stuff which has some hi-viz colour but often seems to be mostly trendy (but not very hi viz) black.

My attitude now is less about what matches the orange saws, but what screams out where people are - esp. on the ground. As much hi-viz as possible and I don't care if we don't look cool. We've got to be making it as easy as possible for us to see each other.

Much as the colour unsettles me, the bright yellow seems to be more hi-viz than the orange.

So

1. What do you is more visible - orange or day-glo yellow.

2. Slip on lightweight vests, or more dedicated material tops, fleeces etc

3. Where do you guys get your stuff from? Any good value recommendations?

I'll be buying the kit and it'll be a good couple of hundred quid min, but a well worthwhile investment.

Regards and be safe, TTS North

HI MATE good post i think GRAY GIT JOHN said he wears them and his team and other chaps too so yes i will be getting some to thanks jon