Lancashire CC to charge for tipping Diy waste

egnsean

The article says there will only be a charge if you don't have a permit.

A small bit of admin inconvenience will not stop a genuine DIYer but it might be the end of watching the same white bib and brace wearing Volvo estate drivers emptying plasterboard / paint tins etc every other day who, despite the obvious, are not 'trade' because they are not in a van.

Cost of disposal is no doubt priced into the job but there is a bit more left in the arse pocket if you let the local ratepayers foot the bill for your trade waste.

Is it really that bad an idea?

It's a terrible idea!

The article states that, even with a permit people will still be limited to how much of certain things they can take to the dump each year.

There is no mention of trade waste.

This is the result of Government cutting budgets of local councils. Never mind hey, let's all keep paying taxes for services we ain't getting.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article says there will only be a charge if you don't have a permit.

A small bit of admin inconvenience will not stop a genuine DIYer but it might be the end of watching the same white bib and brace wearing Volvo estate drivers emptying plasterboard / paint tins etc every other day who, despite the obvious, are not 'trade' because they are not in a van.

Cost of disposal is no doubt priced into the job but there is a bit more left in the arse pocket if you let the local ratepayers foot the bill for your trade waste.

Is it really that bad an idea?

genuine DIYers can only get a permit for 10x 600mmx900mm bags per year then you must pay £3.50 per bag after that, items like Toilets hand basins ect count as 1 bag so if doing a small bathrom referb ect you would use up your "Free" allowance in one go and then have to pay if you wanted to tidy your garden, we already pay council tax so i feel its a bit unfair.

I am always refused entry to the tips in kent- in my hilux fouble cab. Its our 'car', but no matter what i want yo dump- its a commercial vehicle, so i am told to go away!

There is also a heigh restriction in kent- so my mpv, and my discovery, will not fit as they are too high. Plain discrimination is what that is.

It is no wonder there is fly tipping.

this is true, i think it will cost far more in clearing up fly tipping just daft.

It's a terrible idea!

The article states that, even with a permit people will still be limited to how much of certain things they can take to the dump each year.

There is no mention of trade waste.

This is the result of Government cutting budgets of local councils. Never mind hey, let's all keep paying taxes for services we ain't getting.

Very true, and if have a trailer its classed as a loose load so you pay £17.50 under a metre up to 2 metres is £35.00 just a rip off really

No doubt the cleaning up after fly tippers comes from a different budget which could be funded from elsewhere so never mind the cost/stupidity/inconvenience etc. it's good news for the department dealing with Household waste.

This is all gusswork so is probably wrong, but why not have a rant anyway.

Very few councils will clear flytipping off land that does not fall under their direct control. The people who have to pick up the tab for the flytipping are the landowners where the dumping as taken place. The words public and private are often bandied about by the councils. What they really mean by public is under council responsibility and private is not.

dont you have green waste binns yr neck of the woods

We're already being charged for those too! Can't remember exactly how much it is a year (and they don't collect all year round either) but it's stupid. If they'd have just added it onto council tax, no one would have really noticed, but insead you now have to pay for a tag to go on your green bin :001_rolleyes:

our local waste site started a booking scheme, any van, signwritten car, or trailer combination, had to book a time to dump waste.....started taking my rubbish in the mog, stroppy council git started ranting and raving, I simply pointed at the sign and asked him to show me, in writing, where it said no tractors, and that first thing in the morning I would be going to see his boss about his attitude to members of the public at a public facillity

My local one is so bad that if i go i stuff everything in mrs oldwoodcutters hatchback, transit tippers are turned round straight back out of the gate with little or no reason given.

Even when i go with the hatch the hi viz police talk to you like they would to an old yard dog.

The last time i was there 1 chap about 60 rubbed me up the wrong way so i told him he was born about 30 years too late as he could have got a job with the gestapo.

But my remark fell on deaf ears.

Edited by oldwoodcutter

I can't work out why they are charging for inert waste which is being recycled into a product which they make money out of. I also don't understand why council tips can't put a weighbridge in with tickets that can be used by commercial operators thus making money for the council like private waste management companies do. The money they make could be ploughed back into public services or is that to sensible.