Chipper and operator?

bolthole

I hire myself out as me, van & chipper to local tree surgeons for £250. I know them all and worked for them before I got the kit, so I know they won't take the pee with what goes through.

I think if the public were ringing up for the same service, then at least half the jobs would be turned down due to the rubbish they'd expect to be chipped!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was competing with 1 guy who was on sick benefit (bloody cheat) and was charging himself and a 'lad' out at £135 per day (for both of them with no chipper FFS !!!) I went in at £400 a day for me, groundy and a small chipper and we worked like dogs for a full 8 hour day. The customer bitched that the previous guy never did a full 8 hour day and felt 'he owed them' some hours, i almost laughed out loud at that statement. Some customers have no idea/concept of the kind of work and effort required and cannot quantify a task when it comes to steep terrain and difficulty in extracting old large brash piles with a winch in order to chip them. This particular customer was very very well off but wanted the work of 10 men and 2 chippers for the price of a basic 2 man set up.

A mate of mine works everything out on day rate and never really makes decent money or profit. Eg. His day rate is him, a 6 inch chipper and a lackey for £250 per day !!!! He has quite alot of kit that he's bought out of his savings but it sits idle alot of the time and when he does get the work for it he barely covers his costs and makes a poor days wage for himself. I've tried to help out with his pricing but he just keeps doing work too cheaply in the hope it will 'lead to bigger and better things'. His planning is pretty bad too and come 3pm he's looking at his watch and wanting to be home by 4pm and then has to take it on the chin if he has to go back another day to finish off another 2 hours work.

Easy' date='

£20phx10 hrs=£200X5-£300 for wear and tear-£100 diesel=£600 for a machine that would be sitting ideal otherwise.

That's if I'm not busy with my own tree work.

Works for me everyday[/quote']

Each to their own but 10 hour days for 5 days a week I'd rather work in Asda and have a life.

So you only work an 8hr day? lol yea right oh you do

No much less, most days 6-7 less if I can, all price work. Get home and out n the bike or hang with my little lad. I just don't see that bust in yer pan for £20 an hour in this game is where I'd wanna be.

If I was just walking out my door and driving to someone else's yard with my climbing gear and a topper, 120 quid would do me.

If you're using any sort of plant equipment chipper, grinder etc that's the road to ruin.

Very true,a se brickie with v basic tools and insurance gets 120 a day!