Chipper and operator?

bolthole

If I was just walking out my door and driving to someone else's yard with my climbing gear and a topper, 120 quid would do me.

If you're using any sort of plant equipment chipper, grinder etc that's the road to ruin.

Don't forget its £200 a day, £120 is for me, maintenance and fuel are already taken out.

So ok what would you all charge?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget its £200 a day' date=' £120 is for me, maintenance and fuel are already taken out.

So ok what would you all charge?[/quote']

Not so bad I guess, sorry for not reading earlier posts outlining that.

I don't know the answer TBH, but I reckon 200 to you after overheads is more like it. I imagine you've got a van to run the chipper around, that's got to be factored in.

When I'm subbing to other companies I charge £200/day. I use my own van and basic tools, bag of spanners, test meters and the like.

If I was Running my jetting machine, drain camera and the like for that sort of money it would be a road to ruin.

The £200 quid is for 10 hours you say, so you go to Mr Jones and chip for an hour and it's £20 then drive to Mr Smith and chip for an hour for £20 then off to mrs x where you chip for £40 say, and this goes on for 10 hours. I just think it's a hard way to make a living. I'd rather either go and do a few price jobs and be home by 2pm with £300 - £500 after vat, then take off my running costs etc and I'm left with a very good wage. £120 then take off tax and NI is very low IMO for our kind of work. I know lads who drag brash for £40-50 a day cash, even climbers busting there pan for £120 is low for the risks and equipment etc. this industry is so under valued and I can see why when people will work for such low costs. Have you really sat down and worked out your costings? I know what mine are and I would not be able to operate for £200 a day and be around in 6 months.

Don't forget its £200 a day' date=' £120 is for me, maintenance and fuel are already taken out.

So ok what would you all charge?[/quote']

more! you said in an earlier post that you're surprised at the amount of undercutting thats going on, I'd say your prices are just that?

I was charging £180 a day 10 years ago just me a van and doing hedge cutting, no chippers or expensive machinery..

Try for more money, if don't get it you've lost nothing, if you do then you'll be better off for the rest of your career

As reading the posts in this thread i cant help but notice that you tree surgeons are under the illusion that a van and chipper and saws etc are expensive machinery.

whilst it may be true compared to say a window cleaner or maybe a bricklayer its peanuts compared to setting up a haulage contractor, forestry contractor, or a agricultureal contractor, etc,where running costs a maybe 10 times higher than running a small tree surgery business,

i am not knocking tree surgeons in any way, just letting you know to be greatfull for small mercy's.

As reading the posts in this thread i cant help but notice that you tree surgeons are under the illusion that a van and chipper and saws etc are expensive machinery.

whilst it may be true compared to say a window cleaner or maybe a bricklayer its peanuts compared to setting up a haulage contractor, forestry contractor, or a agricultureal contractor, etc,where running costs a maybe 10 times higher than running a small tree surgery business,

i am not knocking tree surgeons in any way, just letting you know to be greatfull for small mercy's.

They prob bring in an overall income off 10x more too