Shorted on day-rate

Mark Bolam

That bit about "Mark stood looking at hedge for 30 seconds" is just un real !

I've tried to find out who makes those "Neighbours, holidays, etc from hell" programmes because they should do it from the other angle "Customers from hell!"

I only ever had it once where it was for an old customer who had a hotel. I did a dirty ivy and bramble clear type job. Followed up with 2 phone calls to find he had been sent to prison for fraud. The other hotel owner - who was there when I did the work - said yes of course he would pay.

Didn't hear anything so chased for a while then did the small claims form bit. He put "since Mr Dyer was employed the company that owned the hotel went into liquidation,".... He'd just started a new company and taken the hotel on in his own name!

It's not so much the fact of the £100 (cause that's all I charged) it was the dirt and crap I had to shovel into the back of the truck and the thorn scratches etc. that gets to you.

There's nothing you can do. Of course you want blood and payback but it's not worth the risk for a £100.... You just have to let it slide. After all thinking about it logically revenge will not get your money back but it could cost you a whole lot more....

That said we could start our own tree surgery vigilante group. Say 50 members. Some one has a problem like this so a name is pulled out of a hat and that person puts on his balaclava!! Nothing to link you to the crime then... well apart from this post :ohmy:

I think this is an excellent idea ! As long as we can buzz about in souped up mini's ..........." You'r only supposed to blow the blaaadddy doors off !"

K

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to laugh it off mate. The guys a dick. Get as much out of him as you can and walk away happy that you dont have to spend a moment more of your life inside the mind of a analy retentive muppet. Keep smiling mate this guy is a minority. Dont let him ruin your trust in other people.

I had this done to me, but i turned up to a job (where id worked before) to prune 3 40ft Pops, the guy wanted 2 70ft Conifers felled as well as an extra and said to bill him whatever it cost...we did and he was happy and paid.....we were then called in 3 months later to put in a path, and patio....when we started he asked for a small wall to be built, steps to be put in and an extension to the path (all as an extra to our quote) we did all this, thinking that he was genuine and when finished he said, holding our Invoice "It looks really great......but im not paying it" I asked why and he said "because I dont have to...nothing is in writing" "take me to court if u want" he gave me a cheque for the original price. I handed it back and said i was goin to get the sledge hammer to take up the extra paving and wall we'd done..."I'll call the Police for tresspassing and criminal damage"....In the end he did pay a little more than the original but we still lost out....Its really not fair how people can be pleased with the work ask for extras and then not pay!!:thumbdown:

a verbal agreement is as good as written on paper, if it went to court you'd of won and he would pay court fees

What a complete plant pot!! I dont know how you kept your cool mate i'd of been raging!! Good on you for keeping your cool mate.

Shreks way is probably the best road to go down but how much nicer would it feel to smack the arsehole? haha

Its about 7 years since I had to get legal. But I remember then up to £80 cost next to nothing over that got very expensive. It would be cheap for you and very expensive for him in time and money. I would go ccj especially for spite more than money you could ask him if it was worth the time and motion of going to court.

You have to laugh it off mate. The guys a dick. Get as much out of him as you can and walk away happy that you dont have to spend a moment more of your life inside the mind of a analy retentive muppet.

What Hollands said - If he is prepared to behave like that over £75 then he must have some issues....Just make it clear that your life is too important to waste time on people like him.

I agree with Shrek in principle but some people revel in this particular kind of dispute.

You never know Mark you may get a call from someone like him who needs your help - in which case he can pay the difference for their petty attitudes.

some folk think they can do what they want he is just a bully, i would not let it lie though i would be getting paid, if someone lifted your wallet and took £75 out of it you would be fighting to get it back to me its no different, thats money for my kids.

I think SWB way sounds the best to go legal, either that or hit him that hard it puts a left hand thread on his neck :001_smile: