3 big ol' Beeches to come out

Jonny Burch

In my opinion this is just the type of scaremongering that causes the knee jerk reactions from the risk adverse.

Has this girl been killed from neglected tree management responsibility or was it just one of those things?

Should we cut all the trees down just in case?

Thing is beech failing with merripilus is quite a site, they usually have full healthy crowns but no anchor root system so it's just not worth the risk if there's high risk targets, crown reduction from experience will speed up the roots rotting that said I've reduced a few with low risk areas, they are still standing to my knowledge .. My guess is they cut through roots building the play ground in the first place and a good reason to suggest to clients NEVER carry excavations any were near the crown of mature beech.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate.

"they usually have full healthy crowns but no anchor root system"

Like exaggerating, pulling out a 12-year old headline does not inform the discussion very much.

If uprooting is a great concern, tie the trees together!

I do find it annoying sometimes when someone starts a thread to try and sell some timber for a good cause and then turns into a 'should it, shouldnt it be felled' debate. The tree is diseeased, the parish cannot afford costly picus or similar tests to get a true indication of the trees condition, so they are felling them because of playground etc, sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Healthy trees fail, certainly beech.

Good luck selling timber jonny and good on you with the replant:thumbup:

In a way it doesn't matter why the trees are coming out! Yes they are lovely mature Beech trees but they have a defect (the fungi) which with the targets means they are going to have to be removed at some point in the future, why prolong the inevitable.

The work is for a parish council which in my experience often don't have the money for in depth consultant surveys, staged tree reductions or continuing management. In a lot of cases they don't have the money to replant which is why the Jonny is paying for the replacements himself!! :thumbup1:

Felling now, is a shame but by planting the new trees Jonny is trying to secure a heathy tree future for his children and grandchildren and great grandchildren as those before us did.

Anybody know if the beech is worth anything to sell on!?:001_tongue:

I do find it annoying sometimes when someone starts a thread to try and sell some timber for a good cause and then turns into a 'should it, shouldnt it be felled' debate. The tree is diseeased, the parish cannot afford costly picus or similar tests to get a true indication of the trees condition, so they are felling them because of playground etc, sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Healthy trees fail, certainly beech.

Haha my thoughts exactly Marc, you were just quicker at typing it!

In a way it doesn't matter why the trees are coming out! Yes they are lovely mature Beech trees but they have a defect (the fungi) which with the targets means they are going to have to be removed at some point in the future, why prolong the inevitable.

The work is for a parish council which in my experience often don't have the money for in depth consultant surveys, staged tree reductions or continuing management. In a lot of cases they don't have the money to replant which is why the Jonny is paying for the replacements himself!! :thumbup1:

Felling now, is a shame but by planting the new trees Jonny is trying to secure a heathy tree future for his children and grandchildren and great grandchildren as those before us did.

Anybody know if the beech is worth anything to sell on!?:001_tongue:

Well said, sometimes removal at the beginning of a problem is prudent as for a client struggling with the cost it can be more cost affective as the trees haven't reached the stage where they are unsecured to work on conventualy and the timber is possibly still sound anough to have some resale value.

Well done johny for paying for the replanting. Imagine if we all once a year gave a day and a few quid and did some local community planting how many more trees would get going.

Hi Marc I'm with you Marc on this all the best Jonny thanks jon

Jonny - you sound like a top bloke! I hope someone offers decent money for the timber and the Parish council get a bit back.

I'd be interested to see if the wood sells as opposed to being nicked by opportunist drive-bys, it's well presented at roadside.

I'm all for retaining trees wherever possible but anything near a playground MUST be 100% in my book. Get them felled and bang a few more in - as already said it's the circle of life!

The beech by the White hart had well under 30% diameter of sound wood, I didn't see the other beech or hchestnut.